Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Charging Problems Kohler CV22S

05-18-09, 11:43 AM   #1  
Charging Problems Kohler CV22S

I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I am having problems with a Craftsman riding mower with a 22hp Kohler CV22S not wanting to charge. The engine's info is as follows:

Family: WKHXS.6742GB
Model: CV22S
Spec no: 75534
Disp: 674
Serial No: 3009202651

When I put this thing up last fall, everything was fine, but when I just tried to get it going a few days ago, I had to charge the battery, but got it started. I immediately notcied the ammeter stays at zero even when it is running at full throttle, and then if you move the key to turn the lights on, or engage the electric clutch mower, the needles swings to the left indicating it is discharging the battery. I used the tractor until at one point I shut the mower off, and then the mower would not re-engage. I read up on this website and see that if the battery doesn't have sufficient power and the tractor isn't charging, the electric clutch may not engage.

I went ahead and installed a new battery as the other one was three years old. I fully charged it and started trying to diagnose the problem based on some older threads I found on this website. I get about 12.5 volts across the battery, and about the same thing from the middle wire on the rectifier/regulator with the key on. With the engine running at full throttle, I get about the same readings.

The part I am confused about is how to measure the AC voltage that should appear on the stator wires. Would I measure between the two wires, or from one wire at a time to ground? With the engine running, if I measure DC voltage, I get about 12.5 from each of the wires to ground. I can't seem to get any kind of AC voltage no matter how I try and measure it. I tried a continuity test on the stator to see if I had an open or a short to ground. I get an open between each lead and ground, and almost zero ohms between the the two stator leads. I think this is good, right? I started to try and take the flywheel off, have everything unbolted, but it looks like I am going to need a flywheel puller. Before I go down that road I want to be sure that maybe this isn't a bad rectifier/regulator.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-09, 12:12 AM   #2  
On the 3 legs of the regulator, check for continuity from each outer leg to the center leg. You should have continuity one way, but not with the leads reversed. If you have continuity with the leads in either polarity, then the regulator is bad. If the regulator is bad, it isn't the only problem though. The fact that you are not showing AC voltage at the 2 leads coming from the stator is telling me you have problems there too. Hopefully it's just the wires just broken or chewed in 2 by mice? With the regulator unplugged and the engine running full speed, you should have over 30 VAC on each leg (measured from leg to ground). If not, the stator is not working. Sounds like you need to pull the flywheel and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-19-09, 10:03 AM   #3  
Thanks Cheese!! You might find what happened next interesting....

It turns out I had a handy harmonic balancer puller hanging on the peg board I forgot about. I used it to pull the flywheel. Low and behold I found all of the magnets stuck to the stator!! So they came unglued from the flywheel. I remember seeing a post yesterday where someone said this can happen and that if you are very careful to line them back up correctly you can reglue them to the flywheel. I need to look for that post.

Also, in regards to the rectifier, this is very strange but I get a short between one of the outside leads to the inside lead in both polarity directions, and I get an open on the other outside lead to inside in both directions. Have you ever seen this happen before? Also, since I am despararely trying to save money these days, rather than go ahead and buy a rectifier, if I can manage to glue the magnets back onto the flywheel and get that back together, do you see any reason why I couldn't try everything back out with the existing rectifier or do you think I might cause some sort of problem if I plug it all back in with a bad rectifier and fry something else out?

THANKS AGAIN for your response!! I'll let you know if this glue thing works out....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-19-09, 06:01 PM   #4  
Ok, don't remove the magnets....hopefully this is not too late. They are oriented in specific polarity and must be reinstalled according to this polarity for the charging system to work properly. Get some sandpaper and JBweld. Clean the spots where the magnets mounted on the flywheel with the sandpaper to remove rust, and clean the backs of the magnets if necessary. Mix JBweld and coat the back of a magnet, align it, and stick it to the flywheel. Then do the next, making sure to get each one oriented properly according to the way it came out (using the wya they are oriented now as they are stuck to the stator as a pattern). Make sure not to flip one over or end for end....it will reverse the polarity of the magnet and render the charging system useless. If you do get them mixed up, the polatiry with which they should be installed is [+-] [-+] [+-] [-+] making sure like polarized ends of the magnets are always next to each other. I used + and - rather than North and South, which would be correct for a magnet, just for easier reference.

Keep the magnets evenly spaced and let it cure 24 hours before using. Keep check on it for the first few hours until the JBweld sets because you may have to make little adjustments as the magnets possibly shift and settle while the JBweld cures.

God bless!

05-22-09, 11:30 AM   #5  
Cheese, You are THE MAN!!!! I followed your instructions and everything is working GREAT!! It's charging like crazy now. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! This saved me a TON of money. I priced new flywheels and they were anywhere from $120 to $150 plus shipping. Thanks again, Joe

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-22-09, 06:32 PM   #6  
Great! Glad to help, and thanks for the update!

God bless!

Search this Thread