Mower Blades STAY engaged

Old 05-19-09, 09:24 PM
Mower Blades STAY engaged

I have a craftsman 20hp 48 inch mower model# 917.272246 I was spraying my yard the other day not mowing and noticed I was starting to cut grass my blades were engaged but i did not pull out the switch so why the mower was running still I pull the switch cable of and it still continued, I then turned the mower off and looked under at the belts they all looked fine then I noticed the casing on the bearings on the electric clutch for the mower blades coming off the main shaft, the casing cover was off and the bearing were piched I took them today and had it replaced I put it back on and still having the same problem

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 12:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you need a new clutch. Check the gap between the clutch plates. You had the bearings in the clutch replaced?

Old 05-20-09, 05:29 AM
yea i had the clutch bearings replaced what should the gap be I was told to the 1000's that is pretty much sitting right on it

Old 05-20-09, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it varies a bit according to clutch manufacturers, but it should be around .013" to .015" all the way around. I'm thinking yours is going to be more than that on one side, and zero clearance on the other.