MTD riding lawn mower with Briggs and stratton engine needs help!!

Old 05-20-09, 08:16 AM
MTD riding lawn mower with Briggs and stratton engine needs help!!

Hello,

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on my riding lawnmower. Model 281707. It works great when the blades are disengaged but once I turn them on, it starts to get real weak and lets out a huge cloud of white smoke. It eventually turns off or I just turn it off. The problem happened all of the sudden while I was cutting my grass. One moment it was working great and the next moment I could barely see from the smoke. I was thinking that oil is getting in the carburetor or something. I have taken the carburetor off before to clean it but this problem has occurred long after I have done that. Any help would be much appreciated because I have to cut my yard and my neighbors which comes close to an acre!
-Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the oil. I'm betting the oil level is overfull, and it smells like gas. If so, do not run it. Fix the carburetor (the needle is not sealing against the seat...clean the seat and replace the needle). Then drain the gassy oil and refill with new oil. It is possible gas and oil have blown up into the air filter and saturated it, so you may or may not have to replace it as well.

Old 05-20-09, 08:47 PM
Cheese you think he might have used a 50/50 mix?? for weedwacker.. Also check the plugs and report how they look. Oily, wet, white, black, tan.... Fouled plugs?

Old 05-20-09, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I think the carb needle is leaking gas into the crankcase. Weedeater oil is usually 50/1, or a little richer, but nothing near enough to create white smoke the likes of his description.

Old 05-21-09, 08:41 AM
Thank you very much. I will try what you said and report back with the results

Old 05-21-09, 09:23 AM
i didnt mix the oil with the gas. Im not that bad with these kinds of things. lol. how do i know that the needle is sealing against the seat. also, what do you mean by replace? im guessing you mean put it back. oh yeah, i drained the oil and it reeked of gas. this is my brothers lawnmower so i dont know how much oil he put in. the air filter smells like gas so should i replace or wash it?

Old 05-21-09, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by msara0225 View Post
i didnt mix the oil with the gas. Im not that bad with these kinds of things. lol. how do i know that the needle is sealing against the seat. also, what do you mean by replace? im guessing you mean put it back. oh yeah, i drained the oil and it reeked of gas. this is my brothers lawnmower so i dont know how much oil he put in. the air filter smells like gas so should i replace or wash it?
You need to clean the carb and install a new carb kit. Your oil reeked of gas meaning that the needle & seat is NOT working. You also need a NEW air filter.Paper air filters can not be washed. I recomend that you take the carb to a small engine shop and have them rebuild it.

Old 05-22-09, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
By replace the needle, that's what I mean...buy a new one. The old one is probably worn causing the leak.

Search this Thread