B&S points instalation

Old 05-20-09, 09:01 AM
B&S points instalation

OK. I had a customer bring in his old rotor tiller. He had bought new points & condenser for it and started to replace them then realized he did not have a feeler gauge. So I get it in pieces. I looked thru 2 B&S manuals that I have and neither shows pics or diagrams of the points set up. It's been a while since I have done points on these engines and I am having a major brain cramp. Since I got it in pieces, I need to know(pics would be great) how the points & condenser go back on the engine. I tried to slide the points in the groove on the round "spacer", but that throws off the contact. The engine number is 130202-0200-02 and the point set he bought is #294628.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 06:19 PM
Hey Indy,

Maybe this will rattle the ole cage ?

Cya

Old 05-20-09, 07:37 PM
I would not bother with points unless absolutely necessary. Install a 394970 Magnetron and forget about them.
I use needle nose pliers to bend the arm so the contacts close square after they have been gapped at .020". This does take a little patience

Old 05-21-09, 07:51 AM
31YTech, thanks. That is what I needed. Brain was fogged. Was trying to get the contact on the lever to contact the pin that opens the points. Point arm was way too long!!....LOL.

Canuckroy, I would install the magnatron, but the customer already bought the point set and I could not talk him into spending the $25 for the conversion. Said he would have if he had known about it when he bought the points.

Old 05-22-09, 02:35 PM
After screwing around with the points, removing the fan housing, recoil clutch (and dropping 1 ball in the process), removing the flywheel to check & reset the points twice, I am done with screwing around with the points. I ordered the magnatron kit today. Actually, I ordered 2 so I can keep 1 in stock.