Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Have a honda HRB216HXA - in storage for 3 yrs

05-20-09, 02:14 PM   #1  
Have a honda HRB216HXA - in storage for 3 yrs

Hi, I have a honda HRB216HXA (model # I believe), infinite drive mower. It was about $700+ at home depot back in '03 or so.

I used it a couple of seasons, and did the oil change, etc as the manual said the first year, etc.

But did not realize about gas going bad. And to make it even more extreme: to make it convienent I use a 5 gal gas can so I could get about 3 gal of gas (keeping it 2/3 full makes it less likely to spill in the car, etc and less trips to the pump) that lasted 1.5 seasons.

Why was it siting in the garage for 3 yrs?
I had a lawn service company do my mowing from jan '06 - thru - mar '09 and the mower has been sitting in my garage unused.

Pondering the horror story of getting it started, with old
gas in it for over 3 yrs
. I guess I will follow the manual:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...s/31VE2652.pdf
"Draining the Carburetor and Fuel Tank
1. Make sure the fuel valve is OFF (see page 9). Remove the
carburetor drain bolt with a 10 mm wrench, and drain the fuel from the carburetor bowl into an approved container ...
2. To drain the fuel tank, turn the
fuel valve ON (see page 9). This
will allow fuel in the fuel tank to
drain out through the carburetor
bowl.
3. After the fuel is completely
drained, reinstall the drain bolt." and purge all gas (in past use I have not had any trouble w/ the mower, I guess even on untreated gas).

Any other tips?
But after 3 years storage, I now fear for the mower.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-09, 08:08 PM   #2  
It may not be that bad... you won't know until you get the carb bowl off. Get a cheap can of carb cleaner and spray out the bowl and the passages in the carb to clear the varnish out of them. If there is a lot of gum in the carb bowl, you may just have to take the carb off and clean it properly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-20-09, 08:16 PM   #3  
Drain the fuel, fill and mow. It's a Honda right? Gases do not varnish that fast now a days. If you are worried I would remove the plugs and spray some fogging oil into the plug holes. Do not use a carb cleaner yet, it will just remove all the nice paint.
Keep us posted

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-09, 08:28 PM   #4  
Don't use the cleaner on the paint!..............??????

Gas doesn't varnish that fast? After 3 years sitting with old gas in it? In my experience, Honda carbs are less tolerant of old gas than most anyway and the gas nowadays is even worse about going bad than it used to be.

God bless!

NH

05-20-09, 08:37 PM   #5  
Posted By: vender Drain the fuel, fill and mow. It's a Honda right? Gases do not varnish that fast now a days. If you are worried I would remove the plugs and spray some fogging oil into the plug holes. Do not use a carb cleaner yet, it will just remove all the nice paint.
Keep us posted
Actually now with E-10 gas, varnish forms quicker and gas does go bad. Now you don't want to buy more gas than you can use in 30 days. Yes, It now goes bad that fast. E-10 attracts water and is very corrosive.

05-20-09, 08:38 PM   #6  
Over spray happens... Cheese, gas has more additives in it than ever. Gas is more stable than ever. I never use Stable anymore and have had no problems. Just trying to keep it simple on the man. Chances are he may end up rebuilding the carb.

05-20-09, 08:41 PM   #7  
OK, Does anyone actually wrench??? I am an honest mechanic and work primarily on classics. I have seen cars sit from 2 to 39 years.....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-09, 09:02 PM   #8  
Ahhh....now that's the difference. Yes, I wrench... I have owned a small engine shop for going on 11 years now, and worked on small engines since the '80s. Before my small engine shop, I worked as a technician at a dodge dealership. Also took 2 years of full time training and some specialized dodge training in Atlanta.

The difference I'm talking about.... gas in large quantities does not spoil as fast as it does in small quantities. A half gallon will spoil much more quickly than 15 gallons. The gas in a car tank can last a pretty long time. It does degrade over that period of time, but not as fast as a small quantity. The tiny amount in a carb bowl will evaporate and gel, eventually turning into a varnish in sometimes months, depending on several factors including storage temps, sunlight, whether air contact is available or not, what additives are used, how high the octane is, etc...

The additives are also part of the reason gas goes bad. Some additives turn the gas to jelly as it ages (seen this happen in months time)...but only in the carb bowl, not the tank. Small quantities go bad first. Gas goes bad fast in a lawnmower... I commonly have to clean carburetors after just sitting unused over the winter, let alone 3 years. It's probably the largest percentage of early spring time repairs for my shop... gas left in the machine over winter that has gummed up the carb. I just sent out 9 mowers today that we fixed yesterday. All had old gas left in them. Of the 9, 7 had to have the carbs cleaned. Some even had the throttle shafts gummed to the point they were stuck.

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 05-20-09 at 09:21 PM.

NH

05-21-09, 07:38 AM   #9  
Posted By: vender OK, Does anyone actually wrench??? I am an honest mechanic and work primarily on classics. I have seen cars sit from 2 to 39 years.....
I was a mechanic at a Dodge dealership, then went to an AMC dealership and then to a Ford dealership. Why change? I went from a 45 min. drive to a 30 min. drive to a 10 min. drive. And with the winters we have here in New Hampshire the less the drive time the better and safer. Then I started my own snowmobile repair shop in 1979. And even then, I had to clean snowmobile carbs after they had sat all summer long and got varnished up. Gas turning to varnish was a problem then and is even more of a problem today with E-10. And if your state is not using it now, you will be by the end of this year. You have to look on your gas pumps for the notice.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-21-09, 08:13 AM   #10  
Posted By: vender OK, Does anyone actually wrench??? I am an honest mechanic and work primarily on classics. I have seen cars sit from 2 to 39 years.....

No need for a wrench, just a bigger hammer

I agree that quantities play a big part, not just in the storage but in the engine size and multi cylinder. The older auto engines will run on much lower grade/degraded fuels.

Search this Thread