Why can't starter can't spin 25 hp Briggs mower?

Old 05-24-09, 11:49 AM
Why can't starter can't spin 25 hp Briggs mower?

I recently acquired a 3 year old mower with a 25 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It had been setting in the garage for about a year. It runs fine but the starter just can't get that first revolution done. Previous owner says he never had a problem. If I push on the fan cover to get it moving, starter will start spinning the engine and start it. It seems that the starter just can't overcome the compression. I thought it was the battery and I have replaced/charged the battery twice with no change - even tried the battery from my boat. I have checked the connections but haven't found the problem. Any ideas out there on what the problem is>

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-09, 03:43 PM
You didn't give any engine #s, But you probably have an engine with Overhead Vales,, Correct???... If so,, Adjust the valve clearance so the Compression release works properly & I think You will be fine!!! Roger

Old 05-24-09, 04:44 PM
How do I adjust the valve clearance?

That sounds like exactly what I need to do. Can someone tell me how to get to the valve and adjust the clearance. The model number is 4467770219E1. I looked on the Briggs & Stratton web site and wasnt able to find a diagram or instruction that helped. I am going to need some help finding and adjusting the valve.

Old 05-24-09, 05:00 PM
The details of how to adjust your valves are in the links below:

How are the valves properly serviced?

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...art_ms3992.pdf

Search this Thread