Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl FS 55 trim head too tight.

05-24-09, 03:09 PM   #1  
Stihl FS 55 trim head too tight.

Well, I have done it now. I removed the cutting blade to put the string head on my Stihl FS 55, and when I installed the string head unit, I forgot to put on the metal collar first. That is the collar that allows the head to spin freely. You guessed it, when I started the trimmer, the head tightened up and now I cannot get it back off. It is tight, but I am able to turn it by hand; the problem is the screw turns with it so it will not turn off. Since the metal collar is not on it, I cannot stick a screwdriver through the hole to lock it.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to lock the shaft from turning other than the hole down at the head?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-09, 07:33 PM   #2  
You may have to remove the boom and hold the shaft from turning at the other end.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-24-09, 08:22 PM   #3  
You are not the first to have done that. Don't ask how I know.

05-24-09, 08:59 PM   #4  
Posted By: cheese You may have to remove the boom and hold the shaft from turning at the other end.
Thanks. How do I remove the boom so I can keep the shaft from turning at the other end?

Search this Thread