Pressure washer leaking gas!

Old 05-25-09, 09:45 AM
Pressure washer leaking gas!

I have a Sears 5170 6h.p. pressure washer. I pulled it out of storage for use and discovered gasoline leaking profusely from the area of the carburetor. There is a slight crack in the gasket that sits between the carburetor (where the choke is) and a plastic piece that appears to act as a vessel for the air intake and perhaps (?) gas reservoir? The crack is between one of the screws and the mouth of the carburetor. Could this be it or is there another suspect? This is where the gas appears to leak from. When removed gas backs out of the carburetor.
This is without the engine running.
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-09, 10:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Likely your float and needle valve are not operating properly. Check your oil level and for smell of gas and change it if overfull or smells of gas.
The carb will need minor surgery in at least a good cleaning and a kit possibly.
Post the model # of PW and engine if you need more help.

Old 05-25-09, 11:01 AM
I believe you might well be correct!

I'll have to bring that guy down into the workshop and take a closer look. All of the fuel has leaked out. The fuel line and all connections are tight. It is flowing from the gas tank, into the carburetor and right back out the throat. I'll give this a try. Thanks for your response.
al

Old 05-25-09, 11:50 AM
Still Working On IT

BFHFixit
I removed the carburetor but of course cannot determine much of anything. I can tell you that the choke and whatever valve controls the opening on the engine side are moving freely. There is a bowl at the bottom and removing it revealed nothing. Is that the float that might extend into the bowl? I do see a needle-like object in the middle that would protrude into the bowl. The Sears website does not have anything in detail for this engine.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Yep, this IS my first rodeo!
a

Old 05-25-09, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The float is the donut looking piece that hinges down into the bowl. Remove the float hinge pin to remove the float, and the needle will come out with it. Your problem is that either the float is stuck, the needle is stuck, there is junk between the needle and seat, or the needle and/or set are bad. Remove the needle, clean the tip with carb cleaner, and clean the seat with a Q-tip inserted into the hole soaked with carb cleaner.

Old 05-25-09, 12:39 PM
Not quite there

Cheese thank you for responding.
Here is the link to the pdf of the engine I have:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...S2143_A_LO.pdf

There is a screw (a screw plug I would call it) at the bottom of the bowl. Either I missed something that fell out or I'm in the wrong place. When I remove the plug I sprayed choke cleaner from both the throat and from where I removed the plug. Is there a float there or a valve???
thanks!
a

Old 05-25-09, 12:41 PM
Model Number 919.762350

Craftsman 7130 w/ Briggs & Stratton 6.0 hp engine.

engine: 121602-0206-E1

Old 05-25-09, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Part #133, you don't see that when you remove the bowl? It's a plastic float, usually whitish or orangish colored.

Old 05-26-09, 05:48 AM
Float

I did not remove the bowl from the carb. How does it come apart? I attempted to unscrew it without success. Does it "pop off"?
I think we're getting somewhere!
a

Old 05-26-09, 07:18 AM
Page 4 of the .pdf shows the exploded view of your carb. If the "plug" you are referring to is part #117, then that would be what holds the bowl on. It is also the main jet and has passages that should be cleaned. With this removed the bowl should pop off, it may be a bit stuck just rock it from side to side, try not to twist or screw it so as not to damage the bowl gasket. You can then remove the float hinge pin, part #104 to remove the float and needle then perform the cleaning that cheese instructed.

Old 05-26-09, 11:47 AM
OK then!

Cheese and BFHFixit things are proceeding exactly as you have instructed. I couldn't get past the fact that the bowl appeared to be just that and was removable. I also didn't give the plug any more credit than a plug!
I was able to gently pry the bowl off and remove the hinge pin and the needle valve! Yea me.
I cleaned everything up and reassembled for installation.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thank you for your expertise!!!
a

Old 05-26-09, 12:10 PM
Hmph

Guys I reassembled the carb after giving it a thorough cleaning. All parts, including the needle valve were moving freely. The float moves easily on the hinge.
Gas is still leaking. Perhaps I missed something to look for?
Sorry!
Thanks for your help.
a

Old 05-26-09, 08:25 PM
Good job. Dont feel bad it happens.

Things to check:
shake the float next to your ear and listen for sloshing. If heard replace the float as it is leaking. Not likely on this model I think.

The IPL you linked to shows a seat for your needle valve. If your needle has a steel tip and not rubber or material you can pinch with a finger nail, you may have a damaged seat which goes in the cavity the needle travels in.

See if you can make a determination of which you have and purchase a kit for the carb.
If you haven't yet, post the model type and code for the engine to help with the correct parts.

Old 05-27-09, 04:52 AM
I'll Try That!

Thank you for your additional postings. You're on it!
I have looked into a rebuilding kit at Sears. He'll have to order it in. Good thing I don't need that power washer to make a living!
The needle valve has a steel tip. As I recall the bowl appears to be in good condition float-wise.
I'll follow this suggestion and most likely get a kit.
Thanks!
Al

Old 05-27-09, 07:05 AM
You should be able to find the kit locally. I think you may pay as much for shipping as the kit costs going through sears.
Any shop who does repair work on small engines should have the kit or parts.

Old 05-27-09, 07:04 PM
It appears the leak has stopped

Hi Guys.
Thanks again for your assistance. I purchased a carburetor rebuilding kit (too many pieces), replaced the needle vale, seat, gaskets and pin for the float. Put it back together and the leak appears to have stopped. It got a little too dark to mess with it.
I did try to start it without success. It wore me out. Tomorrow I'll pull the plug, clean it off and drop a little gas into the cylinder and see if that works for me. Part of the problem is that I no longer am able to find the owner's manual which shows me the correct positions for the throttle and choke. I believe I have it right (throttle forward; choke back) and I'll go at it again tomorrow. I am releasing the pressure via the wand after a couple of pulls.
I think we have the leaking problem solved. It was so nice of you two to assist and stick with it!
Al