Craftsman 5.5HP Self-Propelled cuts off on idle

Old 05-25-09, 03:24 PM
Craftsman 5.5HP Self-Propelled cuts off on idle

I can't locate the idle screw, is there one on this model? Model No. 917.376690
If so, where?
It starts fine but cuts out once the choke is fully released. It was stored for two years. I flushed the old gas and replaced the plug.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-09, 04:16 PM
You have a Honda engine on your mower. And no,there are no more carb adjustment screws. EPA did away with them back in 1995. What I would try first, since it does start and run(at least for a little while), is go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of SeaFoam carb treatment. Then add 2 oz. per gallon to the gas. Most pushmowers have a 1/2 gallon gas tank, so add 1 oz to the gas that's in the tank. Then start it & run it for for a few mins, then slowly start to release the choke. You may have to run the mower for 15-20 mins.
If that doesn't work, then you will need to remove the carb and clean it. Stored for 2 years, carb is most likely gummed up inside.

Old 05-25-09, 07:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I recommend going ahead and remove the carb and take the bowl off and clean it out. That way you know the junk is cleaned out, not just loosened up by seafoam and floating around in the bowl.

Old 05-28-09, 07:15 PM
Still having issues

I cleaned out the carb and it starts up fine. Just dies once the choke cuts all of the way out. There is a hole in the carb near where the choke is that looks like a screw hole. Any chance it does have an idle screw missing?

Old 05-28-09, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Doubtful. I think you still have a clogged passage in the carb. Did you verify that all passages are clear? Pick up a set of torch tip cleaners and poke them through all passages to open them up.