Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fitting a recoil pulley / spring.

05-26-09, 12:52 AM   #1  
Fitting a recoil pulley / spring.

A friend has a Briggs Quantum XTL 55
Model Type Code
128802-2666-E1 99120659

A while ago the starter rope snapped, and between us we completely messed up putting a new one on (snapped a retainer, and the spring fell out). There is a new one on order, and I want to know what the correct fitting procedure is, so I don't break that.

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin

Sponsored Links

05-27-09, 12:23 AM   #2  
Cheese?
Anyone?
The puley / spring should arrive today so i'd like to know.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-09, 12:24 AM   #3  
Hello Benjamin,

The spring should be coiled, the spool hooked on the end of the spring, and then put the retainer on. I'm not looking at the diagram, but it's held on with a screw right? Put it on so that the clutching dogs ride in the channels on the underside of the retainer, and put the screw in. Make sure when you turn the pulley, it sends the dogs out, and they retract when you turn it back the other way.

To change the pull rope, none of this should have to be done. You just wind the spool up until it stops, then back it up until the holes line up, then feed the rope through, tie a knot on the end and the handle on the other. Then let it go and it will wind the new rope into the housing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-28-09, 01:11 AM   #4  
Thanks, I know it shouldn't habe to be done, but we completely messed up. Due to an unforseen turn in events, i.e.relatives arriving from canada with a days warning I'll try at the weekend.

Search this Thread