Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 917.377593 push mower won't start

05-26-09, 08:37 PM   #1  
Craftsman 917.377593 push mower won't start

Hello,

I have a Craftsman 917.377593 lawn mower which won't start. It started the first time of the season. It started the second time of the season, but cut off during mowing. Originally, I thought it was because of the tall grass, but this is no longer the case as it won't start anymore.

I had gas sitting in the tank over the winter, but don't believe it's the problem since I ran it once already. I have replaced the spark plug and air filter. I also receive a spark.

Sometimes while attempting to start, the cord pulls out of my hand. My research points me to a problem with the flywheel key. However, I'm having problems with the proper disassembly to view it.

I'd appreciate any assistance to help me view the flywheel key.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-26-09, 08:55 PM   #2  
The model number for your engine is 143.996704. You can view a parts breakdown on the sears site by using that as your model number.

This http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...ponents%20list is a link to the parts breakdown of your engine, the flywheel key is part #89.

05-26-09, 09:04 PM   #3  
BFHFixit,

Thanks for the information. I should have mentioned that I do have the manual for the mower. However, I'm confused as to the steps needed to view the flywheel key, i.e. what's the easiest way to determine whether it's shreaded? Do I need to start at the top of the mower and remove the recoil starter? Do I start from the bottom? Is there a way to view from the side?

Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-26-09, 09:11 PM   #4  
Remove the recoil starter from the top, then you will need to remove the flywheel nut. Then you can remove the starter cup and flywheel fan and look down the shaft and view the key to see if it is sheared.

05-30-09, 01:17 PM   #5  
Ok, my flywheel key is not in alignment with the crankshaft. How can I remove the flywheel to resolve the problem. I haven't had much luck locating a flywheel puller for this tecumseh.

Thanks!

Search this Thread