Cub w/Vanguard - How to remove carb???

Old 05-27-09, 10:46 AM
Cub w/Vanguard - How to remove carb???

Hey folks.

I've got a Cub Cadet 2165 (1996) with a Vanguard 16hp that's not running too good. It was coughing and stalling when given more than half throttle. I cleaned what I could of the carb while still on the engine and it ran better. I was able to mow the yard, but it was still coughing a little bit and almost stalls when I engaged the PTO.

I decided to pull the carb and do a proper rebuild. That's when I realized that to do that, you must pull the intake manifold and remove the carb from it.

So, today I started pull the engine shrouds off and found that I can't move the large one enough to get to the bolts on the manifold. It's got the shaft through it with an accordion type tube that goes to the firewall. I loosened the firewall, but it's not enough.

I was thinking I must have to remove the drive shaft to lift the firewall out, but that basically means removing the tractor body. Or, I suppose I could remove the engine completely.

Am I on the right track? Or, am I missing something? Something tells me it can't be this involved.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-09, 11:16 AM
can you post then numbers of the mower and the engine?

Old 05-27-09, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Adam63 View Post

Any ideas?
Just one Adam, Leave the carb mounted. With the top removed and the idle mixture screw removed you can get to all the necessary ports/passages and main jet passage and remove the low speed jet for cleaning with spray carb & choke cleaner with the little straw.

Old 05-28-09, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys.

I finally got the intake manifold off by loosening the firewall and removing the plastic screen inside the accordion tube. I had to pry the shroud back so that I could get a wrench to the manifold bolts. There's no way to get a torque wrench in there, so when I reinstalled the manifold, I just tightened them up with my fingers crossed.

Man, getting the old gaskets off was a real trick.

I think there was a bit of debris in the main jet. I could see light through it, but after hitting it with compressed air, the hole seemed to get bigger. I didn't realize the main jet was way down behind the solenoid.

I sprayed and blew out every orifice I could find.

Anyway, I got everything back together and she seems to be running MUCH better. I haven't put her through her paces yet, but I'm hoping.

Thanks again for the help!