Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub w/Vanguard - How to remove carb???

PA

05-27-09, 10:46 AM   #1  
Cub w/Vanguard - How to remove carb???

Hey folks.

I've got a Cub Cadet 2165 (1996) with a Vanguard 16hp that's not running too good. It was coughing and stalling when given more than half throttle. I cleaned what I could of the carb while still on the engine and it ran better. I was able to mow the yard, but it was still coughing a little bit and almost stalls when I engaged the PTO.

I decided to pull the carb and do a proper rebuild. That's when I realized that to do that, you must pull the intake manifold and remove the carb from it.

So, today I started pull the engine shrouds off and found that I can't move the large one enough to get to the bolts on the manifold. It's got the shaft through it with an accordion type tube that goes to the firewall. I loosened the firewall, but it's not enough.

I was thinking I must have to remove the drive shaft to lift the firewall out, but that basically means removing the tractor body. Or, I suppose I could remove the engine completely.

Am I on the right track? Or, am I missing something? Something tells me it can't be this involved.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

NH

05-27-09, 11:16 AM   #2  
can you post then numbers of the mower and the engine?

FL

05-27-09, 05:51 PM   #3  
Posted By: Adam63
Any ideas?
Just one Adam, Leave the carb mounted. With the top removed and the idle mixture screw removed you can get to all the necessary ports/passages and main jet passage and remove the low speed jet for cleaning with spray carb & choke cleaner with the little straw.

PA

05-28-09, 11:42 AM   #4  
Thanks guys.

I finally got the intake manifold off by loosening the firewall and removing the plastic screen inside the accordion tube. I had to pry the shroud back so that I could get a wrench to the manifold bolts. There's no way to get a torque wrench in there, so when I reinstalled the manifold, I just tightened them up with my fingers crossed.

Man, getting the old gaskets off was a real trick.

I think there was a bit of debris in the main jet. I could see light through it, but after hitting it with compressed air, the hole seemed to get bigger. I didn't realize the main jet was way down behind the solenoid.

I sprayed and blew out every orifice I could find.

Anyway, I got everything back together and she seems to be running MUCH better. I haven't put her through her paces yet, but I'm hoping.

Thanks again for the help!

Search this Thread