Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Built keep going out of gear

05-28-09, 07:49 AM   #1  
Troy Built keep going out of gear

My son has a Troy Built (MTD) Model#13AD609GO63 Serial # 1EO69H30108 that when you are going forward you can feel like something is slipping or going out of gear. It starts a little at a time then just stops, you put the shifter back to neutral, then back to forward and it will go again for a short time ! We took the rear end apart and thought maybe the ball spring that locks the shifter in gear did not have enough tension, we stretched it a little, also went to a repair shop and they said it could be the gear (beveled #7 on the schematic) could be to loose on the shaft, I don`t think that is it, cause there is no grinding ?? Could it be the main drive belt, (there are some cracks in it)We couldn`t figure how to get that pully off to change it on the engine.Any Ideas appreciated , thank you

Sponsored Links

MO

05-28-09, 10:00 AM   #2  
What model transaxle does it have, Peerless, HydroGear, I could not find it from the model and serial num given at the MTD site to see the #7 you are referring to. Have a good one. Geo

05-28-09, 10:25 AM   #3  
Sticker on the transaxle says,
Model 618-0307
Serial # Q032862

MTD 71900394
We tried to change the main belt once before but gave up because we couldn`t get the electric pto clutch pulley off. I was checking underneath to see if the shiftlever was engaging the shift into the gear and it looks to be going into the ball detent, is it possible that that PTO is bad ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-09, 09:36 PM   #4  
Sounds to me like you need belts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread