Rim Stuck on Shaft.

Old 05-31-09, 08:45 AM
Unhappy Rim Stuck on Shaft.

Alright, I'm trying to get a steel rim off a through shaft. It's on a Toro snowblower. I have the nut and bolt out of the shaft securing it. There seems to be no set screw.
I've been using a 3 leg puller, heat, and my 5 pound hammer - no luck. The rim is actually bending!!! I'm going to place a tube in there after so no worries. I've sprayed Jig-a-loo, WD-40 etc... all in the shaft area but it seems very rusted on there.
Any ideas??
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 09:55 AM
That can be a tough one. As a last resort, you may need to apply heat via a welding torch with a rosebud tip. A canister torch will be a waste of time.

Old 05-31-09, 03:48 PM
That is tough. I had a 1979 Toro in the shop last fall. It needed new axle bushings. I got 1 wheel off with little problem. The other was another story. I used oxy-accetelyne torch, got it cherry red, and still no go. I ended up having to cut the wheel off with my die grinder. Replacement wheel was not cheap, but had to be done.
They tend to rust real good after a few years. That is why when I buy a new piece of equipment, I remove the wheels and put a coat of never-seize on them. Lawnmowers, lawn tractors, snowblowers. And I ALWAYS put neverseize on everything I take off.

Old 05-31-09, 05:34 PM
Rim

I was thinking of a welding torch as well. But, won't a rosebud tip wreck the rim? I have an angle grinder but not a die grinder. I don't want to destroy the shaft. If I need a new rim that's fine I guess.

Old 07-12-09, 09:26 AM
Angry Rim

I think I might need to use the rose bud tip. I still can't get it off. I use my 4 1/2 angle grinder on it and cut it off. I wrecked the threads on my three leg puller on this too - Great.

Old 07-12-09, 02:04 PM
this is a little late, but one other tip

a little patience

i just spent 3 days getting the upper blade stop off a blade spindle (honda 3813) - the blade stop is cast iron, and new they're a tight fit, add all the contact area of the splines interfacing, and any corrosion multiplies the binding effect

after saturating with penetrating oil, i put it in the vise, put a three leg puller on it, leaving it there with tension on it, heated it, gave it some more oil, let that sink in (the heated surfaces will thin that oil further so it can penetrate further down into the splines)

i repeated that two to three times a day, and today did it four times

after heating and then fresh oil the last time, with the puller as tight as it could get it (to put it under as much tension as possible) i started tapping on the underside with a 8 0z ball pein hammer - sure enough it showed the slightest movement, finally

took about 20 minutes after that to still get it off

to get the damn spindles off the deck, i had had to treat the bolts for a few days, multiple hits per day, before they'd loosen without breaking

so basically, my point is, a little patience, give that penetrating oil some time to work in
not a guarantee it will come off, but still nicer if it does

and what another poster said below about neversieze - i use synthetic grease, but anything that wouldn't dry out and prevent corrosion is a good idea

Old 08-17-09, 06:55 PM
Talking

I got the tire off the rim. Tried again with the puller / WD-40 / Jigaloo and heat - No Go.
So, I bought a tube and put the tire back together without damaging the bead.
Done!