Electric start not working

Old 05-31-09, 05:11 PM
Electric start not working

Toro personal pace Model 20018. Electric start no longer works just get a whirring sound when I engage. Tried a second battery with similar result -- happens no matter how long I charge battery. How do I tell if both batteries are defective? All suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may just need to clean the gear drive of the starter. I'm guessing it's stuck in the down position, unless it's not turning fast enough to kick the gear up, in which case it would be a battery problem. Is either battery new? It takes load testing to determine if the battery is good or bad. If the battery is a few years old, it is probably bad.

Old 06-14-09, 08:29 AM
Clearly not a battery problem as just tried a new freshly charged one-- louder whirring, but engine is not turned over. Can someone describe how to clean the gear drive of starter -- as I do not know what the starter looks like in a mower or where it is. Alternatively, should starter be replaced? Thanks!

Old 06-14-09, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Follow the large red wire to the engine and it will end at the starter. Remove it or gain access to view the drive end of it and you can then see the gear. The gear could be broken, stripped, or just stuck.