Craftsmen Transaxle help needed.

Old 05-31-09, 06:25 PM
Craftsmen Transaxle help needed.

Hello All,

Long story short.
Craftsmen riding mower 38" deck model 917.255590 with a swapped 12hp I/C Briggs & Stratton motor.

I get her running and the wife decides to mow the yard. She drives over the horseshoe pit and bottoms the deck out on the 6x6 wood box frame with the right rear wheel in the pit and brings the whole thing to a hault and breaking something in the process. I flipped the mower on its side to have a look. She broke the clutch/brake rod free from the brake lever on the transaxle. 15 minutes later I noticed oil on the ground and righted the mower. I slide the clutch/brake rod back into the brake lever and use the peddle lock to hold it in position. Used it like that for the past 2 weeks. Today I figured out that the cotter pin broke off and thus why the rod would fall out when you released the pedal.

First question has to deal with the clutch/brake rod and making connection to the brake lever. There are two adjustment nuts, one to back the other up and stop the first from moving. however they are about 3" away from teh brake lever, something must have filled that gap? What? And was it a cotter pin or clevis pin on hte back side of the brake lever?

I am also now having trouble with the tranny. When I first ran the unit it ran great in forward nad reverse. These past two weeks it barely goes in either direction. If I push it to full forward it slips and I lose speed. I pull it back to barely in forward and resume forward speed and can pick up speed on level ground to a point, pass that point and it loses speed, like a slipping clutch pack in a truck auto tranny. I have some incline to my yard and lose speed on the incline. I pull the shifter back to barely forward to climb the incline. Before the accident I could climb in high gear.

First question. Could it be that I lost transaxle fluid? To me it acts like an truck auto tranny with slipping clutch packs. How do I check fluid level? I found the fill cap under all the grease and dirt today, opened it up and couldn't figure out how to tell if it was full or not. I have read in other threads about replacing the filter, where might I find this filter? I spent some time today on the tractor and didn't see anything that looked like a car filter. Does this transaxle have a filter, and if so where is it located? Also how do I drain this tranny? And what is the recommended fluid to refill with?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 08:13 PM
1) There is supposed to be a spring part #106888X between the two nuts on the rod and the brake lever, Then part #STD624003 retainer clip goes in the hole in the end of the rod once the rod is through the brake lever.

2) The hydro oil reservoir should be filled to half and SAE 30w high detergent engine oil can be used.

Good Luck

Old 05-31-09, 09:48 PM
Sweet, thanks!

I know its low on fluid than. Wasn't any in the resivoir under the cap.

How do I drain the tranny and is there a tranny filter?

Old 06-01-09, 05:31 AM
Some tractor transaxles have to be removed and turned up side down for draining, On these styles they should be good to go for the life of the unit. There is a filter screen inside the transaxle which makes it not worth a tear-down just to change the oil.

My suggestion; Top the reservoir off, Run the unit then re-check the level and go mow.....

Old 06-02-09, 07:23 PM
Thanks 31ytech!

I farted around with it tonight after work. I put the tractor up on jackstands. Topped off teh transaxle fluid level, charged the battery, and fired it up. I noticed even with the wheels off the ground that I lost forward speed. Pulled the back frame plate off and noticed that when I went faster the belt slipped. Picked up a new belt and put it on. Took it for a test drive. Works awesome now, better than when I got it.

Plus while I had the deck off I pulled some maintenance on it, and sharpened the blades. If it wasn't raining out I'd be mowing in the dark just to see how well it works now.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-02-09, 07:43 PM
What.....No umbrella ?