Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnboy Duraforce mower won't start - 2 cycle

TX

05-31-09, 09:48 PM   #1  
Lawnboy Duraforce mower won't start - 2 cycle

I recently came across a LawnBoy mower 10323 mower with a 6.5hp Dura force 2-cycle engine. The problem being that it won't start.

The mower is about 5 years old and unfortunately sat outside for a year exposed to the elements. The overall external condition is good, but internal is the question???

I pulled off the spark plug and water pours out. EEK! I dry it out best I can and spray some starter fluid down the throat of the carb and it actually puffs and chugs a few times. Take apart the carburetor and its full of water too. I clean it up best I can and I get a few seldom puffs and chugs out of the engine. The muffler is spitting out oily rusty water every time. Also the sparkplug is wet (water/gas???) often.

I do some research about gas flooding carbs and decided to buy a new needle assembly and priming bulb (old one was 100% deteriorated). Rebuild and there is no change in its performance, expect fewer puffs and chugs. The spark plug is always wet within a few pulls, and inside the main carb body it is wet with fuel too. Once during my trouble shooting I did see gas come up and out of the priming bulb What does that mean?

What to try next? I did read about a float possibly going bad? FYI shortly after my rebuild with a new neddle I did blow down the fuel line and it did check off the pressure. Then I assembled carb to the engine. No change. Not sure it even puffed and chugged anymore.

Ideas??

Sponsored Links

TX

06-01-09, 07:36 PM   #2  
These engines have a steel cylinder sleeve, if there was water in the crankcase, there is a good possibility that you have surface rust on the cylinder walls, the piston rings are likely stuck in the ring lands of the piston. This engine needs to be torn down and cleaned out and inspected. I don't think the carburetor is your only issue.

TX

06-04-09, 05:42 PM   #3  
30yearTech,

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid of rust on the inside. I'll see what I can do for this mower.

I did check the compression and it was 90/95psi and spins easily when cranking.

If I have any luck I'll post it here.

Search this Thread