Murray Tecumseh engine bolts fall out

Old 06-01-09, 02:19 PM
Murray Tecumseh engine bolts fall out

I have a 8 yr old murray witht a 17 hp Tecumseh Engine that keeps loosing the engine bolts. I have replaced them at least 4 times in the last 2 years. I have tightened them, locktited them. My question to the Tecumseh folks, can I drill the bolt holes through and put a longer bolt and nut on them? When the motor loosens, the drive belt slips untill there is no movement!

Chuck in E. TN

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-09, 05:10 PM
update

I replaced all 4 of the special pointed bolts with regular 3/8 x 16 bolts and they fell out almost immediately. I used an anaerobic thread locker on them too. Any ideas? Will thread inserts work? what size would I use?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Chuck in E. TN.

Old 06-01-09, 05:17 PM
Try using red locktite and let it sit for 24 hours before using.
Also, make sure the threads on the bolt are clean along with the threads on the engine. Spray them with brakleen and blow them off with compressed air. New bolts can have an oil residue on them. And make sure there is NO oil on the threads on the engine. DO NOT use Carb cleaner. Carb cleaner has a lubricant to lube linkages & pivot points. Brakleen dries clean, leaving NO residue.

Old 06-01-09, 06:52 PM
You could drill holes but do you really want to?
Try using nylon locking nuts instead of the regular flat nuts the machine came with. They should work well and will never come off on their own. You can use lock-tite if you feel the need.

Old 06-01-09, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just put longer bolts in and a lockwasher and nut on the other end.

Old 06-02-09, 04:13 AM
can't do nuts

Om closer inspection I see the holes for the mount bolts are all blind, and end inside the crankcase. Can't drill through and use nuts. It's going to require either redrilling and tapping to a larger size or some kind of threaded insert.
The motor mounts to a plate that is bolted to the frame rails. So, today, I will pull the motor, plate and all, and take it to a shop, or research installing the inserts myself.
Thanks for all the input.

Chuck in E. TN

Old 06-02-09, 05:58 AM
can you post the engine model number please?

Old 06-02-09, 07:07 PM
Hey Indy, just an FYI you have spelled

Winnipesaukee wrong on your location

Old 06-03-09, 03:36 AM
Helicoils

Update. Went to Advance Auto yesterday and got a 3/8 x 16" helicoil kit. Drilled, tapped and installed inserts in all 4 mounting holes.
I'll reassemble today and see how it works.
Thanks for all the help and sugestions.

Chuck in E. TN

Old 06-19-09, 08:45 PM
Model # and Torque

Yes, I might also be able to use the model number someone else asked for. I recently acquired Limited Edition Murray with 17 HP Tecumseh Industrial/Commercial motor, but do not know model #.

I'd also like to mention the importance of proper torque settings. You might wish to check to be sure your torque wrench does not need to be recalibrated. You could check yours against someone else's whose is properly calibrated, just to be sure.

Thank you for the info.