Chainsaw Automatic Oiler - Poulan Pro

Old 06-01-09, 05:55 PM
Chainsaw Automatic Oiler - Poulan Pro

I have a Poulan Pro PP4218AVL chainsaw that had been working fine until a few days ago, when the automatic oiler stopped working. It used up the first fill of oil, but did not use any after that. After I noticed the chain getting hot, and the oil reservoir looking full, I took the chain & bar off, and cleaned the area where the oil comes out with compressed air. There is a piece of rubber-like material that is near an oil hole, and the rubber piece appears to have another hole in it (like it might oil the chain in two places). There is also a flexible tube with a plastic elbow fitting that connects to a portion of that piece of rubber.

I also have a Homelite chainsaw on which the automatic oiler no longer works. I was adventurous enough a few years ago to take that one apart, and found that oil gear was stripped.

The Poulan looks different than the Homelite, and I hope I don't have to take it all apart. Does the Poulan use a gear to pump the oil? If so, is the gear easily accessible (perhaps behind the piece of rubber)? After doing a lot of cleaning, I ran the saw without the blade to see if any oil came out; it "bubbled" a little, so I thought (hoped) it might be working, but when I put the chain back on, and ran it, it did not sling any oil and got hot again.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-09, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Please Help Me View Post
I have a Poulan Pro PP4218AVL chainsaw that had been working fine until a few days ago, when the automatic oiler stopped working. It used up the first fill of oil, but did not use any after that. After I noticed the chain getting hot, and the oil reservoir looking full, I took the chain & bar off, and cleaned the area where the oil comes out with compressed air. There is a piece of rubber-like material that is near an oil hole, and the rubber piece appears to have another hole in it (like it might oil the chain in two places). There is also a flexible tube with a plastic elbow fitting that connects to a portion of that piece of rubber.

I also have a Homelite chainsaw on which the automatic oiler no longer works. I was adventurous enough a few years ago to take that one apart, and found that oil gear was stripped.

The Poulan looks different than the Homelite, and I hope I don't have to take it all apart. Does the Poulan use a gear to pump the oil? If so, is the gear easily accessible (perhaps behind the piece of rubber)? After doing a lot of cleaning, I ran the saw without the blade to see if any oil came out; it "bubbled" a little, so I thought (hoped) it might be working, but when I put the chain back on, and ran it, it did not sling any oil and got hot again.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Thank you.

Now let's see if this link to the illustration works:::

OrderTree.com

.... hope that helps, ... the line called oiler vent makes me think it's pressured from the fuel delivery pressure system, ... could be all wet here