Sears Briggs & Stratton, need help identifying!

Old 06-02-09, 11:33 AM
Sears Briggs & Stratton, need help identifying!

Here are some specs:
  • Sears Craftsman Tractor Model 917.276813
  • Briggs and Stratton Engine Model 31P977-0635-E1

Here is my problem:

Suspected that I had a stuck valve. Removed the carb, exhaust, and cylinder head. When I pulled the cylinder head naturally the rocker arm tention was released. Well, two small metal parts fell to the ground and I only found 1 of them!

They look like a small (1/4") diameter / 3/16" thick round disk that is hollowed out. My presumption is that they go between the rocker arms and the end of the intake and exhaust valves. They fell out immediately after the tention was relieved from the rocker arms (after I unbolted the head and started to remove it).
I looked up the diagram on searspartsdirect.com and there is not a description for the part nor is the part listed/shown in the diagram.

My hope is that someone can identify this part with a name and perhaps a sears part number. I did call Sears and they were of NO assistance - both times I called!

Thanks all,

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-09, 05:25 PM
Old 06-02-09, 05:32 PM
Greg,

That part is called a "Valve Cap", You can order from the link below or pick it up at any Briggs parts/repair shop. You do not have to go to Sears.

Buy Repair Parts - Briggs & Stratton

Good Luck

Old 06-02-09, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the links...

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks! I have the part ordered... feel like a real jack a s s, but hey it happens, right?

Thanks again,

Greg