Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman blower/vacuum rebuild

NY

06-03-09, 09:35 AM   #1  
Craftsman blower/vacuum rebuild

I have a craftsman gas blower/vac. Not sure what model it is but could get that later. Anyways my mother in law had one a few years ago and while using it it suddenly lost power and died. We sent back to Sears and they covered it. The repair bill said it needed a new piston and ring assembly as it had a hole in it or something. It was like an $80 repair if not covered. Well not to long after that I bought the same exact blower and have been using it a few years now and the same thing happened, started to lose power and quit. If I crank it it seems like no compression or anything, so it sems to be the same problem on a different one. My question is how difficult is it to rip the engines apart on these and install new pistons etc. Is it something a do it yourselfer can do. I have never did a repair such as this but if it is fairly easy it is worth it. Any suggestions or steps to do. Thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

06-03-09, 01:03 PM   #2  
If you have some mechanical ability you could do it, however the parts will usually cost you more than a new blower and you will still have an old blower. Remove the muffler and look at the cylinder wall and piston, if they are scored/deep scratches the item is ready for the dumpster. Have a good one. Geo

TX

06-03-09, 02:41 PM   #3  
Those type of blowers are bad about the cylinder coming loose at the crankshaft,and causing a air leak.Take the muffler off and check the cylinder by using your thumb and see if it will wiggle.If so you will have to take the whole blower apart and tighten the bolts.There are two of them,the muffler side and the carb. side.Hope this helps.

Jerry

NY

06-04-09, 04:23 AM   #4  
JSouth that was a good call. I pulled the blower apart prior to reading your post last night and that was exactly what happened. The two bolts that hold the cylinder in place were quite loose. I tighten both up real good and it started and ran like a champ. I didn't have any loctite at the time but I snugged them up real good. If it happens again I'll loctite. Thanks

Search this Thread