Harmony mower - speed slowdown all of a sudden??

Old 06-03-09, 02:03 PM
Harmony mower - speed slowdown all of a sudden??

I have a Honda Harmony mower that is about 3 or 4 years old, I have it serviced every spring, usually, but this one I did not. It's a self-propelled variable-speed model, the kind where you can stop the blades with the mower running - a really nice mower.It's been running just fine, and I replaced the air filter a few weeks ago. While cutting the grass last weekend, all of a sudden it just slowed down...and now the speed just won't go any faster than a slow walk. It starts fine, everything appears fine, but something has happened to the speed. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-09, 04:43 PM
Are you talking about the engine speed?
or
The self propel drive ground speed??

Old 06-04-09, 08:18 AM
How fast the mower moves along...THAT speed. Before, I could turn up the speed so fast I couldn't even keep up with it. Now, it's a slow walk at best.

Old 06-04-09, 06:29 PM
Could be an adjustment, need to know the model number of your mower.

Old 06-04-09, 07:11 PM
The model number is HRX217HXA.

If it's an adjustment...could something have tripped it like that, right in the middle of cutting the grass??

Old 06-04-09, 08:04 PM
Well you have a hydrostatic transmission. Check the speed lever up near the top of your handle, underneath there should be a small pin with a little clip going through the side of the lever and through the eyelet in the cable. Next to it should be a spring hooked up to the engagement lever on the handle. Operate the handle and lever and see if there is any slack in the cable when engaged. May be a problem with the cable. If not then there is a good possibility that the problem lies in the transmission, which does not show to be serviceable.

Old 06-04-09, 09:05 PM
Okay...thanks. I will check that out.

Old 07-12-09, 10:13 AM
Well, all this time my son has been suffering in silence. Bless him. Since I'm cutting the grass today, I am back looking into this as it is a HUGE pain.

I looked at the lever that controls the speed and it does appear that something is out of whack. The cable is not being retracted or pulled upon, hardly at all. I shot a short video clip of it, to see if that would help. I will try to upload it and post a link. It would be great if this was something I could fix myself!!

Old 07-12-09, 10:29 AM

Okay...here it is. It's pretty obvious that the cable is not moving much at all. Any suggestions? If nothing else, I'll have to load it up in my car and take it in to Land and Coates in the morning. Guess I'll be late for work.

Old 07-12-09, 07:41 PM
Well, I just put the mower in my car (that was a job!) and I'll take it in tomorrow. Pretty sure it's that cable. Hopefully it's an easy repair.

Old 07-20-09, 09:34 AM
Just thought I would post back, to update anyone that is interested.

They did an "adjustment" to the speed lever cable - cost was about 20 bucks. Not sure if that is something I could have done myself, but it is running great and I'm a happy camper.