Tranny question

Old 06-04-09, 09:31 AM
Tranny question

I saw an add on Craigslist for a Poulan 15hp, 42" cut lawn tractor $125. Said it just stopped last year. I emailed the seller asking exactly what stopped working. Said it just stopped moving. I was told the engine runs, blades work, just doesn't move.Said it's about 7 years old. So I asked if the wheels roll when pushed and could we roll it up a ramp into the back of my truck. She replied YES. My thoughts are that since it will roll, the tranny is most likely good and the problem is in the belt drive area. The 2009 Poulan I just bought in April (16.5hp/42" cut) uses a Peerless 206-545, so I assume that Poulan used Peerless in 2002, just a different model.
What kind of problems might this tranny have? Am I correct in thinking it is not a tranny problem since it rolls? I would be buying to re-sell.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-09, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
I saw an add on Craigslist for a Poulan 15hp, 42" cut lawn tractor $125. Said it just stopped last year. I emailed the seller asking exactly what stopped working. Said it just stopped moving. I was told the engine runs, blades work, just doesn't move.Said it's about 7 years old. So I asked if the wheels roll when pushed and could we roll it up a ramp into the back of my truck. She replied YES. My thoughts are that since it will roll, the tranny is most likely good and the problem is in the belt drive area. The 2009 Poulan I just bought in April (16.5hp/42" cut) uses a Peerless 206-545, so I assume that Poulan used Peerless in 2002, just a different model.
What kind of problems might this tranny have? Am I correct in thinking it is not a tranny problem since it rolls? I would be buying to re-sell.
I would think that you can have a transmission issue, and still have the unit roll ok. You really need the model number of the mower to see what transmission is in it. If it's a gear drive tranny then I would not think it's a serious problem, but if it's a hydro, well it might be a little more involved. It could be just a simple as a missing or sheared key between one of the wheels and the axle.

Old 06-04-09, 08:58 PM
Tractor says "6 speed". it is NOT a hydro.

Old 06-04-09, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bet the belt is off. I recently had one given to me that only had a missing axle key. You can definitely have a tranny problem and still roll it, but almost always, when I get a mower that won't move, it's the tranny bet. Yours will probably take a 106085X, but it depends on the model# to be sure. How in the world I remember the number for that is beyond me.

Old 06-05-09, 06:09 PM
OK. I just talked to the daughter of the woman who owns the2002 Poulan lawn tractor. She said mom took it to the repair shop last year (I know of that repair shop and they are schiecters) and she was told it needed a new transmision. Said the trans was full of water. I really don't believe that as the trans is sealed. So, am I wrong thinking it can't get full of water? Even so, for the price I dont see how I can go too far wrong. Comes with a 2-bin bagger. They won't budge on the price as they were told the bagger was worth at least the asking price.

Old 06-05-09, 06:27 PM
From the pictures, the mower looks like it has been kept outside in the weather. I would not be suprised if the transmission was full of water. I have taken many transmissions apart and found them to have water in them.

Old 06-06-09, 06:34 PM
Well, I bought it. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong for the price. The engine should be worth the $125 price. And the hard bags should be worth close to that. It is older than they thought. Said it was 7 years old. It is 10 years old.
Engine is a Tecumseh 15hp OHV150-204034E DOM 9098.
I do believe this tractor is a HomeDepot version. Model number HDT1542A. I am now trying to find what tranny it has. I will crawl under it tomorrow and see if I can find the number. I do think it may need a new tranny. It shifts very hard(most likely due to rust), but it did shift and it did go into gear as we had it on a small hill, put it in gear and it did not roll. Put in neutral and had to hold it from rolling. And yes, it was left outside, year round, buried in snow, for the last 2 years. Gonna scan Ebay for trannies.

Old 06-07-09, 06:24 PM
Found the tranny number. Peerless MST 206-545C. What should I look for in this tranny. I do know that the shifter does shift hard and does keep the tractor from rolling down a hill when it is in 1st gear. It does roll when in neutral. I will be getting into it sometime next week. Any hints?

Old 06-07-09, 08:11 PM
If you don't have an IPL for this transaxle, you can see one at

PartsTree.com - Genuine replacement parts for Toro, Echo, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy (Lawnboy), lawn equipment (lawn mowers, saws, blowers, trimmers, snow blowers) and Tecumseh, Kohler and Briggs and Stratton Engines.

If it's had water in it, I would look for some rust or corrosion on the Shift Collar, Shift Keys, Shift Rod & Fork, as well as the Shifter & Brake Shaft. It may just need some cleaning up and new grease in it.