Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Trimmer How to replace fuel lines

MI

06-04-09, 04:27 PM   #1  
Craftsman Trimmer How to replace fuel lines

Hello all,

I have a Craftsman Trimmer whose fuel lines has become harden. I suspect they are the reasons that I could not start the trimmer. There are altogether 3 lines. Surprisingly all 3 has unique ID/OD combinations! I wonder why, since now I have to buy 3 different types of lines. Anyway, I have trouble figuring out how to disconnect the old lines. Here is a picture of the 2 longer lines that pass through the wall and into the gas tank.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...b/IMG_0850.jpg

I did not want to yank them hard lest they would break and mess everything up. The fuel tank feels like a molded plastic enclosure that I don't believe I can dissemble and get in to the inside. So, again, my question is: how do you change these lines? All tips are welcome.

Shay

Sponsored Links

IA

06-04-09, 06:53 PM   #2  
If they are hard and brittle, I believe I would put hot water in the fuel tank and let it fill the lines to soften them up a little. Then they should pull out.

To reinstall, Geo had a good post. He suggested cutting the very end of the line to a long narrow point to get it started through the hole in the fuel tank. Then grab the end and pull it through. Make sure the lines are warm when you do all this. It'll let the line collapse a little as you pull it through.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-09, 10:00 PM   #3  
If they are hard and brittle, they need to be replaced.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread