Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Walbro carburetor problems

MA

06-05-09, 09:46 AM   #1  
Walbro carburetor problems

My friend gave me a homelite weedwhacker and said I can have it if I can fix it. From my experience, its always a crab problem, so i pulled the air filter and gave a little squrt of carb cleaner in there. It started and ran great for a few seconds. I noticed the fuel line was bad so I replaced it with the filter. I also pulled the carb apart and blew it all clean. I was all excited, easy fix. Pulled the carb, no start. I realized the manual primer bulb was was stiff and cracked. Replaced that, all excited, pulled the cord, no start. I can see plenty of fuel getting pumped through the priming bulb. The plug is getting kind of wet. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-05-09, 11:34 AM   #2  
Will it still start with a shot of carb cleaner?
Check for spark...

MA

06-05-09, 01:50 PM   #3  
It has excellent spark. And no it will not start with a shot of carb cleaner. Maybe this could tip someone off. It started great with carb cleaner before I fixed the primer bulb. Now it won't start at all. Again, spark is excellent. Is there too much gas somehow?

Non-US

06-05-09, 06:35 PM   #4  
When you cleaned the carb, Did you install a carb kit or re-use the old diaghragms??? If you used the old ones,, Get a complete kit & re-do it... These little rubber parts get stiff with age & don't work properly....They can give a lot of headaches if you use the old ones thinking ""They still look O.K."" Good Luck...Roger

MA

06-07-09, 06:02 PM   #5  
Good suggestion. The diaphram didn't seem stiff but I should get the kit. I noticed that as long as it has gas in the carb it won't run, not even with a squirt of carb cleaner. If I pump the carb empty, I can get it to run great with a squirt of carb cleaner. Could it be the wrong mixture of gas? It runs my Husqvarna chainsaw fine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-07-09, 09:51 PM   #6  
No, it's a carb problem, likely a stiff diaphragm holding the needle valve open.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread