How to fix tire leaking around the bead?

Old 06-05-09, 11:39 PM
How to fix tire leaking around the bead?

I had to replace one of the front tires on the old Honda tractor I just bought. It's a 15x6x6 tubeless. The old tire had a break in the sidewall from sitting deflated for several years.

I wire-brushed the rim around the bead area to clean it up before installing the new tire. It looked pretty smooth and clean.

I took it to a shop to have the new tire installed, and it looked like they put enough pressure in it to seat the bead properly.

After putting it back on the tractor, I find the new tire is leaking all around the bead. It's just a little in a few places at first, but there are bubbles almost everywhere when the pressure drops a little.

How do I get the tire to stop leaking? I'd try Slime, but it's not recommended for leaks at the bead.

Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 04:31 AM
Many times the problem is rust on the trie bead. You said you cleaned the rim, but did you clean the tire bead? Another trick I have done that works much of the time is to put a light coating of grease on the tire bead. I also make sure to over inflate the tire by double to make sure the tire does seat, then, in 5 mins or so and after checking the bead for leaks, back it down to proper inflation.

Old 06-06-09, 09:28 AM
If there is some pitting from the rust on the bead, go ahead & put a tube in it (even tho it's a tubeless tire). Sometimes you really have to sand the rims clean than lightly grease them as Indypower suggested....Roger

Old 06-06-09, 02:11 PM
Well. I guess the guys at the shop didn't do such a good job of seating the bead after all.

I inflated the tire to 30psi, about twice the normal pressure. Then I poured water around the bead so I could see where it was leaking. I whacked the tire hard with a rubber mallet as close to the bead as I could. I worked my way around each side until no more bubbles were forming.

I drove the tractor around some, and it looks like it's going to be OK.

Roger

Old 06-06-09, 06:00 PM
Glad to hear you got it to seal,,, I'll remember that trick in case I have trouble with one ((I'm sure I Will,, LOL)) Thanks for the tip!! Roger