Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX160 engine too loud!

06-07-09, 01:52 AM   #1  
Honda GX160 engine too loud!

Hi all...I'm new to the forum...... hello from sunny Spain.

Just bought a petrol powered compressor with Honda 5.5hp motor. Although the engine is fairly new it seems very loud...too loud for my neighbours anyhow!!

Is there an alternative 'muffler' available, say off a generator...or is there any way I can silence the engine using parts off say a small motorbike. Size isn't a problem as the compressor is large and stationary.

As I live in Spain, finding parts locally is a nightmare, so this needs to be borne in mind :-((

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links

06-07-09, 10:55 AM   #2  
Does it run continuously at high speed? If so you could add an air throttle so it idles down while unloaded.
Check the gasket between the muffler and the engine, it could be blown out. As long as the muffler is not rusted out, there is not much you can do. Additional muffling could cause loss of power and overheating.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-07-09, 10:18 PM   #3  
You can pipe a bigger muffler onto it with no problem. The pipe and flange from the original muffler doesn't stick up much, but you can cut it off and weld it to whatever muffler you choose to use. I recommend using a muffler with a pipe size as big or bigger than the existing one, so that you'll know it is rated for close to the same amount of CFM or more. I suggest also making a bracket that supports the weight of the muffler, and reduces the vibration of it if you use one much bigger than the existing one. The mounting area, pipe, flange, and/or head may suffer damage if it isn't supported and braced properly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-08-09, 12:32 AM   #4  
Thanks for the advice guys..I'm off out this morning on a hunt for some parts :-))

Non-US

06-08-09, 06:18 AM   #5  
Is it the compressor that's making the noise?? I know most air compressors I work with are fairly noisy & they're all driven with electric motors???? Roger

06-08-09, 11:38 PM   #6  
Hi Roger....yes the compressor is making noise as well...I've managed to quieten down the Honda using a length of flexible hose welded to a new exhaust flange one end and a small car tailpipe the other end......

Now, if you place your hand over the tailpipe, you can hear the pop, pop, pop of the compressor inlet valves!!

I'm going to make a 'cupboard' for the whole lot and line it with carpet or similar...hopefully that should quiet it down some more...who'd have neighbours!!!

06-09-09, 06:56 AM   #7  
Ensure that you have an adequate supply of air for cooling and combustion.

PA

06-09-09, 08:52 AM   #8  
Look at where the compressor is located, is it against a wall that directs reflected sound towards your neighbor? You may not have to totally enclose it, maybe just a sound absorbing wall between the compressor and the neighbor. Also direct the exhaust coming out of the muffler into a "neutral" direction, away from the neighbor. Is the compressor rigidly mounted to the floor causing it to vibrate and generate noise? Rubber machine mounts to isolate vibration may help.

06-10-09, 12:08 AM   #9  
Thanks for the tips Joe...I'm only running it for short balsts of around 10 minutes so at the moment I'm just waiting for the neighbours to go out!!

I'll try your ideas next though.......

cheers

Gerry

Search this Thread