Pressure washer falls over -- oil everywhere

Old 06-07-09, 04:35 PM
Pressure washer falls over -- oil everywhere

Someone brought me a power washer that fell over while on thier trailer. It is a big unit with a Honda GX390 13HP horrizontal shaft engine. The motor would not crank due to oil on top of the piston. I removed the plug and cranked it to get the oil out of the cylinder. I removed the carb and cleaned it. It was full of oil. The air filter was oil soaked. I also removed and cleaned the intake manifold. I removed the valve cover and that area looked ok. I removed the muffler cover and used a flashlight to see if that was ok and it was. Now -- since the cylinder is not perpendicular to the floor but on an angle, do you think I should spray some degreaser or pour something like sea foam down the spark plug hole to get out any remaining oil. I would tilt the unit so the cylinder is perpendicular to the floor hoping the fluid would drain past the rings. Also is there any place else I should be looking for oil that needs to be removed. When I put the plug back in I can crank it until the compression stroke and then it got hard to crank. It is 13 HP and maybe that was why.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-09, 10:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You've done everything necessary to get it ready to run again. All you have to do is start it now and watch the smoke. It will smoke until the oil in the muffler and cylinder is burned out, then it should be fine. The compression is probably higher than normal because of the oily rings and maybe some residual oil in the cylinder.

Old 06-08-09, 03:49 AM
Cheese - thanks - I will be putting it back together today and trying to start it.

Old 06-08-09, 10:47 AM
Put everything back together. Cranked engine a few times and she started. Lot of smoke as expeected. After I got it running, I changed the oil and installed a new air filter. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-08-09, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job. Glad you got it fixed!