Tecumseh will not start with air filter attached

Old 06-11-09, 04:16 AM
Tecumseh will not start with air filter attached

Model TVS115 Spec 56001A. Engine starts (initial startup) when air filter is removed -- will not start with air filter attached. The engine will run fine with the air filter attached after it is started however it will not start again after it is shut off if the air filter is attached. It is a brand new tecumseh air filter. The engine is on a craftsman self propelled mower.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 01:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a defective air filter. Has it (the filter) been wet before with gas or water?

Old 06-12-09, 04:20 AM
Nope -- It was a new filter in a sealed plastic bag. Could it be bad intake manifold gasket or head gasket or intake valve not seating properly ??

Old 06-13-09, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The addition of an air filter does nothing other than increase the restriction of air to the engine. If there was an intake gasket problem, this would help the engine start instead. If it was a valve problem, I can't see how an air filter would make any difference. Really, the air filter should not have enough restriction to make a difference at all. I don't have any other suggestions. Sorry I still lean toward faulty filter.

Old 06-13-09, 08:02 AM
What is the part number & brand of the air filter you used?

Old 06-15-09, 05:04 AM
It is an original tecumseh service part and the part number is 35066 made in mexico. It is the standard "single barrel" air filter.

Old 06-15-09, 09:54 AM
Does the air filter cover attach with a long bolt that goes thru the carb? Is that bolt causing something to not work internally? I'm inclined to think faulty air filter as well, but trying to think outside the box.

Old 06-15-09, 11:09 AM
I was pondering this some more, and was wondering if there is a blockage of air before the air filter that with the additional restriction of the filter is peventing the motor from getting enough air.

Old 06-18-09, 10:10 AM
Well here is the final story and I can hardly believe it. The new air filter is a very tight fit into the housing. So much so that it was not bottoming out in the housing. There is a round boss at the bottom of the housing. I pushed the filter all the way down and now the engine starts with the filter. This one has me scratching my head.

Old 06-19-09, 11:29 AM
So with the filter not seated all the way, it was somehow blocking any air from coming in? Just trying to visualize it in my mind. In any event, glad that you got it running with minimal fuss beyond some head scratching.

Old 06-19-09, 01:45 PM
I think the filter was binding the choke. Since it ran fine with the filter after starting. Had to be a binding of the choke.

Old 06-19-09, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Except this doesn't have a choke......

Old 06-20-09, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Except this doesn't have a choke......
Correct -- there is no choke. Also this engine breathes air from around the outside of the filter cylinder not through it. This was a strange one indeed.