Kawasaki FC240V Carbon Fouled Engine

Old 06-12-09, 06:29 AM
Exclamation Kawasaki FC240V Carbon Fouled Engine

Hello All, (MrCyber200, here) I'm glad to be a part of this commnuity.

I have an Exmark Metro 48" walk behind lawn mower with a Kawasaki 5 speed FC240V OHV, 14 HP engine that's not running right. I just had the 5 speed transmission replaced.

The engine is pretty much carbon fouled & carbon buildup has scratched the short block interior (piston/cylinder wall). I figure that much wear has caused or will lead to other problems in future use.

I need to know if it's more cost effective to rebuild the 14 HP engine or to just replace it with a new or rebuilt one?

How difficult (time, parts accessiblity & labor) would it be for me to rebuild it? I've good sklls & rebuilding expertise but I don't have a machine shop dedicated to engine rebuilding (honing, lathes, etc). I'm setup more for assembly/dis-assembly, calibration, testing, installations & repairs.

If I decide to replace the engine, would it be better to buy a new or rebulit engine. Where's the best place to a good one at a good price? I'm located in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks, in advance for your advice & assistance.

MrCyber2000

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-09, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the cylinder wall is in good enough shape to be honed for use, I'd build it. You'll be hard pressed to find an engine as durable as that kawi, and if you do, it will cost you. If you switch engines, you also have to deal with wiring changes, throttle connection changes, exhaust changes, etc... that can make the swap a bit difficult.

Old 06-13-09, 08:00 PM
Was this engine running poorly for a long time?? I wonder about the cause of carbon that bad in the first place.. Was it using oil?? Leaking carb seat or a poor air filter seal?? Do you run it at a slow speed?? Do you use regular or a premieum fuel in it?? If the scratch is only minor, ( Can you hook it good with a finger nail)?? do as Cheese says.. Take it to a machine shop for an opinion on the cylinder & fix it... He's right,, What ever caused the problem,, You'd be hard pressed to find another engine that will take the wear & tear as well as the one you have,,, but fix the cause of the carbon buildup while you fix the cylinder...Roger