WeedEater XR-70

Old 06-12-09, 07:56 PM
WeedEater XR-70

A lady friend said she needed a weedeater so I go to the shed and grabbed a small green one which I thought might be her size, well this is what it was. It has a cast housing, no primer, "NO AIR FILTER" and is a full crank engine, it has a Walbro WA-79 carb, label says Emerson Electric, Weedeater 26.2cc sn-40537695. I was wondering who made it. I checked it out with a little starter fluid in the plug hole, fired right up, so checked the piston, cylinder, ring, everything good, then we get to the fuel tank, the fuel line was replaced (partially) with the yellow fuel line and of course it leaks, inside the tank the leftover fuel line had sorta dissolved an clung to the fuel filter and fuel line. Cleaned the carb(over cleaned), installed a kit, it runs fine(ok for now), except the fuel line leaks. I was just wondering who made it because this is not the throw away stuff made today. Have a good one. Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-09, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, if it says weedeater, that's who it's made by. The older ones were made much better. SOme of them (I call them "suitcase weedeaters") with the cast housings were a bit of a pain to take apart and put back together, but they were pretty good quality compared to the stuff they make today.

Old 06-13-09, 08:42 AM
Thanks Cheese. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-13-09, 07:39 PM
I think "Weedeater" has something to do with Poulan,, & they have something to do with Electrolux,,,, Or something like that??? I would think the lines would be a standard size,,Or are part of a moulded Pick-up tube assy... Sometimes the local engine guys can match something if you take the old parts with you???? Good Luck,Geo,,,Roger

Old 06-13-09, 08:58 PM
That machine is 25-30 years old, parts may be hard to find. It should have an air filter, a block of porous foam that fills the opening on the underside of the engine.

Old 06-14-09, 07:17 AM
I have the GTI 15T Weedeater. It's about 23 years old and I believe it was made by Poulan. Then sometime later Electrolux bought Poulan and may still own them.

The one I have is used every year and has only seen one carb kit and four spark plugs. Still runs great.

Old 06-14-09, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Poulan and weedeater are basically the same company.

Old 06-16-09, 07:12 PM
Thanks Cheese, I never knew just how all that went. I do know the newer stuff from that outfit is no where near what it used to be.

I still have a 306 chainsaw with the 16 inch bar. I used it to cut firewood and hedge posts nearly thirty years ago. It got a workout then and it still runs like a top. (It has had a few idle years though = I had to take a break)