Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman lt 2000 stall? or quitting?

06-13-09, 12:20 PM   #1  
Craftsman lt 2000 stall? or quitting?

My craftsman Rideing lawn mower keeps quitting. I don't really call it a stall because it does spit or sputter. It has a B&S 18ohv engine. Sometimes I can cut the grass and it happens maybe a half hour after, but once it does it, it usually keeps qutting between 1 and 20 mins. Wait a sec. or two, turn the key, and it starts right back up. Sometimes, it goes to die and it recovers at very low rpms and ramps back up until it dies.

already replaced- spark plug, fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, oil change and oil filter, cleaned carb.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-13-09, 08:44 PM   #2  
Try loosening the gas cap when it starts messing up and see if it straightens out. Could be a clogged cap vent.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-13-09, 08:48 PM   #3  
I have made sure the hole on the top is clear, can it get clogged internally?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-14-09, 08:46 PM   #4  
Yes, depending on the cap style.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-28-09, 07:51 AM   #5  
I took my tractor in for service. It turns out it is the carb. It has a nikki carb that from what I hear is junk. But you can only replace it with a nikki. Carb is on back order. 2-3 weeks.

Something was said about the gas is eating up carbs. Is this true? Something about the mixture?
If this is true, is there an additive you can use to make it less toxic to the engine?

NH

06-28-09, 03:03 PM   #6  
It is not the gas itself it would be the Ethonal added to the gas. Most states are now using E-10, 10% ethonal. The gas pumps will say it on them if they are using 10% Ethonal mix.
Yes, ethonal can eat up metal & rubber carb parts. It can also eat the rubber gas hoses. Make sure that gas hose that you may buy is resistant to ethonal. For now the only product out there that helps somewhat is Marine Stabil. Marine Stabil is made especially for ethonal. Regular Stabil is not yet formualted for ethonal.
Ethonal actuslly attracts water, so use Isyprople drygas, too. (2 oz. per gallon.).

Search this Thread