Sears #917.276813 idle

Old 05-27-09, 08:17 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sears #917.276813 idle

Did the usual spring startup maintenance on my Sears Rider #917.276813... Changed the plug, gas filter, drained carb bowl and treated remaining gas with Stabil. Cut grass 4-5 time already. First two times the mower ran fine. Half way through the third time the engine (with no load and at high or low or med throttle would "hunt" or have a spuratic idle. In high speed with mower deck engaged (load on mower), the engine does not seem to have a spuratic rpm.

Changed gas filter and although I had run 3 tanks of new gas through the mower - I thought that perhaps I had got a bad batch of gas. Drained tank, drained carb bowl, changed gas filter, checked plug...

Still the same! Can the Fuel solenoid (at bottom of Carb) cause problem? I checked it and the float on it seems to be operating...

Help is appreciated.

Greg

Old 05-27-09, 08:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Its not likely the solenoid. You can unscrew it and connect the wire ground the body and turn the key to the run position, it should operate.
I would guess you still have some crud in the carb. I honestly think that with cheap materials in carbs and the fuels, that alot of this debris causing carb issues develops in the carb itself despite our best efforts to prevent it with fresh and treated fuel.

You may well solve it by just removing the bowl and spraying some carb cleaner up through the jets and passages and hit them with a glancing blow of compressed air.

You might also check your fuel line, if any of it is soft or looks deteriorated, it could be collapsing.

Old 05-27-09, 09:00 AM

Old 05-27-09, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by 31YTech
Hope that = Ditto .

Old 05-27-09, 11:25 AM
Since it does start & run, I would go to VIP Auto Parts and pick up a can of SeaFoam feul system treatment & a bottle of "StarTron" treatment. The StarTron is made specially for E-10 gas, which is what is being used now in Maine. Add 1 oz per gallon to the gas. This should clean out the carb in 1 tank or less. If that does not work, then the carb will have to come off and be cleaned by soaking. And make sure you soak the main jet as that is most likely clogged. And blow out ALL holes with compressed air.

Old 05-27-09, 04:54 PM
G
I did run some sea foam through the last two tanks of gas I used. I use sea foam on my boat religiously, should be using it in my cars, atv's and snowmobiles too!

I will try the StarTron this weekend. Someone else mentioned that too. Worth a try. I am going to remove the carb and soak it in some parts cleaner IF that doesn't work

Thanks all!!!

Greg

Old 05-27-09, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by BFHFixit
Hope that = Ditto .

Yeah.....Ditto.

I had typed the same basic info then got interrupted, Came back and hit "Submit Reply" then seen yours.....

Old 06-08-09, 09:58 AM
G
Main Jet issues... Help Please!!! Growing old here!

Originally Posted by indypower1
... And make sure you soak the main jet as that is most likely clogged. And blow out ALL holes with compressed air.
Ok, I bought a carb rebuild kit for this Briggs and Stratton model / series# 31P977-0635-E1 from searspartsdirect.com I also bought a new MAIN JET, due to the fact that it is not included in the rebuild kit. Rebuilt the carb (with the exception of replacing the main jet) and now the engine will idle beautifully!

BUT, if I give the throttle some gas the engine will spit and sputter and eventually just die out. Because I could not find the Main Jet - I did not replace it. Where the heck is it?/? I looked on (3) different diagrams, turned my carb inside and out... I just can not find it! Help, please!

Old 06-08-09, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It screws right up into the post that drops down from the bottom of the carb....the needle from the solenoid closes against it.

Old 06-17-09, 06:51 AM
G
Up and Running!

Replaced the main jet... NO change. Ordered a new Carb direct from Briggs and Stratton... RUNS GREAT!!

Not sure, obviosly since I replaced the entire carb which by the way came with a new Fuel Selonoid, what the problem was within the old carb - but my thinking was that the Ethanol that is in today gas just ate things up! Kind like pac man! LOL

Even using Sea Foam, Star-Tron & Fuel Stabalizer I could not get the old carb to work. I will add fuel stabalizer to every tank now.

Thanks all for your help,

Greg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: