Tecumseh OVRM120 Lean Surge

Old 06-15-09, 09:02 AM
Tecumseh OVRM120 Lean Surge

I have an Tec OVRM120 with a lean surge which I have traced down to a worn throttle shaft. There is play in the shaft. When I spray the shaft with carb cleaner the surge is gone and the engine smooths out. I see a replacement throttle shaft and carb kit are available. Does the body typically wear or does the shaft wear on these carbs? Do these carbs rebuild well? Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 12:21 PM
Both the shaft & carb body can wear and both could be worn on yours. And yes, the carbs usually do rebuild very well.

Old 06-15-09, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually a new shaft takes up the slack sufficiently. Check the shaft bore in the carb and see if it is oversized.

Old 06-16-09, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Usually a new shaft takes up the slack sufficiently. Check the shaft bore in the carb and see if it is oversized.
Do you know where I can find the carb bore diameter or shaft dia spec? I have the service manual for the engine and checked the on-line carb rebuild info, but there is no info on the bore dia. The engine code is -22043E and I believe the carb part number is 640274 supersede to 640338.

Old 06-16-09, 08:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have used felt washers with good results getting some pretty sloppy shafts to seal enough.
Not sure if your carb uses them or if the kit would come with one, if not, most any place that does repair will have some around and likely give you one.

Old 06-16-09, 10:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I don't know the specs. Pull the shaft out and measure the unworn part of it above the carb body for shaft dimensions, then add a few thousandths to it for the bore diameter.