Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears gt twin 16 hp

SC

06-17-09, 06:37 AM   #1  
Sears gt twin 16 hp carb

I have an older Sears GT Twin 16hp mower When I got it it didn't get gas to carb so I bought a carb kit installed it an ran ok for a year. Now it starts right up but spits gas out all over from flooding. The carb is the type with the fuel pump built on the side of the carb in a small box that houses a rubber type valve and works off the engine vacuum. I'm not used to this type of carb no float needle and seat to adjust. Where can I get info on this type carb for adjustments if any? I believe its a Briggs engine here are some nos. on the engine. Mld. 01707 0130 Type 01 Code 7804 2612 Thanks for any help John

Last edited by JOHNNY BE GOOD; 06-17-09 at 06:44 AM. Reason: additional info

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-09, 10:52 PM   #2  
It does have a float and needle! That;s where the problem is. I think you'll find something interfering with the float/needle operation or it may need a new needle. Take the top of the carb off to gain access to the internals.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

06-18-09, 04:54 AM   #3  
Sears 16 hp

Thanks Cheese I'll be taking the carb off again this weekend I rebuilt it about a year or two ago so I don't remember the float but like you said sounds like the problem. Maybe a little dirt or just needs a kit put in it. Any Idea where I can get info on that engine and carb its pretty old but a great tractor. Thanks again PS great site for a do it yourselfer JohnBeer 4U2

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-18-09, 06:15 AM   #4  
Posted By: JOHNNY BE GOOD Any Idea where I can get info on that engine and carb its pretty old but a great tractor.
Might double check your engine numbers and use them here Operator Manuals, Illustrated Parts Lists & Wiring Diagrams - Briggs & Stratton

SC

06-21-09, 08:11 AM   #5  
Sears gt 16

Just wanted to say thanks BFHFixit I was having problems with repling to messages but seem they fixed it sorry took so long to get back to you but I did miss a no. there was a number 4 in front of my number it should have read #401707-0130-01. The site you suggested found it for me . Thanks agin all JohnBeer 4U2

SC

06-25-09, 04:28 AM   #6  
Sears gt 16 running again

I put in a new needle and float the float had something in it weighing it down. Tractor runs good now. First attempt no start no gas to carb removed top of carb reset float again by eye now it runs good but surges when climbing a hill or putting a load on it. I think the float still needs set It seems it may be starving for gas. Anyone have any spects. for setting the float level or is there a mark to go by or should I just keep reseting it till it runs over with gas and and then back it off? Thanks for getting this thing running again I really need it John

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-26-09, 02:07 AM   #7  
Turn it upside down and adjust the float so that it is level with the carb body.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

06-26-09, 05:22 AM   #8  
Sears gt 16

Thanks again Cheese I owe you a beer. John Beer 4U2

Search this Thread