No Spark

Old 06-17-09, 09:51 AM
Post No Spark

After removing the plug, reconnecting it to the cap and placing it near a metal surface with several pulls on the cord, there is no spark. The ignition (solid state) is new. How can I test the flywheel? When the magnets on the flywheel pass the magnets on the ignition, shouldn't some current jump across that airway? If so how can it be tested? The plug is several months old and I will get a new one .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-09, 12:54 PM
What kind of engine are we dealing with.What did you set the air gap must be .010,also disconnect the kill wire and check for spark again.Hope this helps.

Jerry

Old 06-17-09, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure the threads of the spark plug are in contact with and grounded to a metal surface on the engine.
You can use one lead of a jumper cable for this or find some cheap smaller clamps and a piece of wire and make a test lead. One clamp on the hex portion or threads of the plug, the other to a solid grounding surface on the engine. Then hook the high tension lead to the plug and check.

Old 06-17-09, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
What kind of engine are we dealing with.What did you set the air gap must be .010,also disconnect the kill wire and check for spark again.Hope this helps.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I'll try that in the morning. The engine is a Tecumseh 143.005512. They also show LEV120-361075C. I think the air gap is at .010 and I will recheck it. Charles

Old 06-17-09, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
Make sure the threads of the spark plug are in contact with and grounded to a metal surface on the engine.
You can use one lead of a jumper cable for this or find some cheap smaller clamps and a piece of wire and make a test lead. One clamp on the hex portion or threads of the plug, the other to a solid grounding surface on the engine. Then hook the high tension lead to the plug and check.
Thanks BFH foryour suggestion. I'll try it in the morning. Charles

Old 06-19-09, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
BFH, Followed your suggestion to the letter and still no spark. What about the flywheel? It turns freely and magnets appear to have strength.

Old 06-19-09, 09:40 AM
If you have a new module (without an ignitor), kill wire disconnected and the module is grounded with about .010 armature gap (module pickup to the flywheel), you will get a spark if the module is good. The spark plug has to be well grounded as does the module to the engine.

The chance of the module, new out of the box, being bad is fairly small, although possible.

The chance of the flywheel being bad is practically zero.

Old 06-19-09, 10:37 AM
If you have disconnected the small wire to the module (kill wire marbobj mentioned) and still have no spark then almost certainly the module is bad.
If the flywheel magnets will hold a good sized screw driver upright, that is the only test I have ever seen mentioned I think by Briggs... but I have not seen nor heard of them going bad unless they have been beat on.
There are a couple of tests you can do with a volt meter if you have one, however it can pass these tests and still be bad but if it fails then it is bad.
More and more it seems new parts are indeed bad or wrong part in packaging etc.

It might help if we knew what equipment this engine is running...Tecumseh 143.XXXXXX ......Craftsman? Mower?

Old 06-19-09, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could it be that the module is installed upside down? It won't fire if so.

Old 06-19-09, 08:37 PM
Good point cheese I always forget that one heh