Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine hunting?

AL

06-18-09, 09:21 AM   #1  
Engine hunting?

I have a B&S engine...m-310707, t-0137-E1, c-001020ZF. The engine seems to be "hunting" - the engine speed goes up and down rapidly, approximately once or twice per second. The top of the governor lever moves back and forth approximately 1/2". This is the engine that the owner put about twice the regular oil level. After adjusting the oil level and removing and replacing the spark plug and removing the oil in the cylinder and running it long enough to burn out all the oil in the muffler, it seemed to run fine. Shortly after returning the rider, it started doing this...any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-18-09, 09:48 AM   #2  
Not sure the overfilling of the oil has anything to do with the hunting/surging of the engine. This is caused by a lean mixture usually due to fuel restriction or contamination.
Was the gas refilled shortly after the return?
Perhaps the problem was there before the oil incident...?

Fresh fuel or carb adjustment if equipped, or cleaning the carb is normally the solution.

AL

06-18-09, 04:43 PM   #3  
I've pulled the limiter cap off the idle mixture screw (the only adjustment screw), and adjusted it both ways with absolutely no change. Sounds like I may be trying a new carburetor!

NH

06-18-09, 04:48 PM   #4  
Remove the carb, soak it in a carb cleaning solution,rinse and blow out with compressed air and buy a carb kit for it. Cheaper than anew carb.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-18-09, 06:55 PM   #5  
If you use a carb cleaning solution to dip the carb in be sure to remove all non metalic parts or be prepared to replace them.

9 of 10 times simply opening the carb and thoroughly cleaning with a spray carb cleaner, which is safe for all parts, is sufficient.

Search this Thread