Flymo

Old 06-18-09, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Flymo

My boss bought a older used Flymo with a Tecumseh 660-16B motor. (That is the only numbers I can find on it) He bought it knowing that it does not start. Well, I have success getting smaller 2 stroke motors going (I did just fix his Stihl trimmer) but this one is being crabby. Took the carb apart and did the soak/blow out thing. Replaced the diaphragm and other parts that came with the kit I got but still no run. Also checked for spark and it looks fine. Took out the spark plug and held my finger over it and it does suck and push although not as much as I would think it would. Do the reed valves go bad often? I can see them moving but I don't know if they are sealing. I also have not been able to get it to fire with starter fluid.

Any direction would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 07:14 PM
The compression should be quite pronounced. With the shroud off, give the flywheel a quick flip with your hand, it should stop and bounce back. Remove the muffler and make sure the port is not plugged with carbon, this will give you an opportunity to check for damage to the piston skirt.
The Tecumseh 2 stroke equipped Flymos I have seen were built in Britain and had some quirks. The points looked similar to the standard U.S. ones but were mirror image. Also, they were equipped with a Dell Orto carb from Italy that was impossible to get parts for.
BTW, leave the ether alone, it will wash the lubricant off moving parts and destroy the crank seals.

Old 06-19-09, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks! This carb was made in Wisconnson (although I don't remember where) and got parts no problem. I guess I will have to do some more wrenching.

Search this Thread