Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kawasaki FC290V 14HP hard start when hot.

06-19-09, 12:19 PM   #1  
Kawasaki FC290V 14HP hard start when hot.

I have a John Deere 240 garden tractor with a 14HP FC290V that starts and runs great except that if I turn it off when it is hot it will not restart. I took out the plug (new last month) and cleaned it and blew out the spark plug hole. I got it to start but it seemed like it was flooded. I don't want to do this every time I stop. The carb has a small solenoid at the bottom. I can hear it click when I turn on the key. I am not sure what it is supposed to do.
THANKS

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-09, 05:39 PM   #2  
Off the top I would say you may need your valve lash adjusted. If you have fuel and spark and it only happens with warm engine and without looking up your engine specifics that would be my guess. Does it seem to crank a bit faster and maybe puff like it wants to start?
If so it is not a major operation and if you have some ability, you could do it yourself.

Last edited by BFHFixit; 06-19-09 at 06:05 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-09, 08:04 PM   #3  
I agree with BFHFixit. I've run into a couple of these old Kawis that needed a valve stem grinding.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

06-22-09, 05:54 PM   #4  
I thought maybe it was a carburetor problem but if you guys say it is valves then so be it. I am going to tear the engine down for a valve job.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-22-09, 09:06 PM   #5  
Should be easy to check the clearance by just removing the breather cover.

Search this Thread