Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Static governor reset

AL

06-19-09, 02:32 PM   #1  
Static governor reset

Could someone explain (in detail) just how to perform a static governor reset or adjustment?

Sponsored Links

FL

06-19-09, 03:40 PM   #2  
Hope this is detailed enough Jack,

1. Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

2. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position. Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle linkage.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 2.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank.

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Good Luck

AL

06-19-09, 07:37 PM   #3  
Thanks for the detailed information...I really appreciate it.

AL

06-22-09, 05:07 PM   #4  
I have replaced the complete fuel line and filter, I have checked the static governor reset.and I can feel pressure being applied form the governor whenever I manually turn the throttle up (to slow it back down). I've removed the locking cap on the idle mixture screw and adjusted it both ways...with no effect. This is a Nikki carburetor and I haven't gone into one before. I attended a B&S school several years ago and the instructor just mentioned the Nikki carburetor. All my B&S repair manuals don't cover a Nikki carburetor. I've got two problems...a hunting engine and a foreign carburetor. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I took the carburetor apart and a small brass fitting fell out in the bowl and I'm not sure where it goes. One end is approximately 1/4" in diameter and the other end is approx 1/8". The fitting is approx 1/4" - 5/16" long. Does it go under the short spring on the outside of the plastic fitting or does it go inside the plastic fitting? Does anyone know where I might find some information on Nikki carburetors?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-09, 09:45 PM   #5  
Those are a little picky, but usually clean up ok sometimes after multiple attempts. The little jet goes down inside the main plastic pickup tube. It goes O-ring side down into the top end of the main tube until it fits snugly in the bottom.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

06-24-09, 06:30 AM   #6  
The main problem I'm having is that the throttle goes back and forth from idle to wot very rapidly, approx 2 times per second. Dose anyone have any suggestions to what maybe causing this. I'm about to replace the carburetor but I'm afraid that something else may be causing this.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-09, 08:53 PM   #7  
If you hold it steady by hand, does it still do this? That is pretty rapid for just a carb restriction. It could be a carb problem though.

God bless!

AL

06-25-09, 05:07 AM   #8  
Cheese, If you hold the throttle steady it will not hunt but I can feel the governor pressing on the throttle. Also, if I manually partially close the choke it will pretty much stop the hunting. I've ordered a new carburetor and I will let you know if it corrects the problem.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-26-09, 02:06 AM   #9  
Yep, that's a carb problem or an air leak between the carb and cylinder.

God bless!

Search this Thread