17 hp briggs carb overflowing into air filter

Old 06-21-09, 08:13 PM
17 hp briggs carb overflowing into air filter

I recently rebuilt took apart my very corroded carb and put a overhaul kit in it however after doing so it is still overfueling and coming out of the vent holes into the air box. Since I have replaced the needle and seat what could it be? It is possible the float is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-09, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You replaced the seat? What engine do you have? What kit did you use?

Old 06-22-09, 03:25 PM
17 hp i/c Briggs from roughly a 97 yard machine

Yes I replaced all the components that came with the kit including the needle, seat, jet, diaphram, and all gaskets. I originally opened the carb to clean it since the shed it was being stored in leaked water right into the carb. After I cleaned it out it was doing this, so I put a complete overhaul kit in it and it still does the exact dame thing.

Old 06-22-09, 03:27 PM
Sorry having issues with typing I guess. It was doing this before and after rebuild. Got full of water from leaking shed.

Old 06-22-09, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It will be a great assistance to all here if you can post the #'s of your engine...otherwise many guesses could be based on problems you may not even incur.

Quick and off the top, could still be float is full or perhaps the carb vent is plugged not allowing the float to close the needle to the seat.
If it is filling the air box then I would guess you either have a side draft carb or a fuel solenoid....???

There should be a placard riveted or glued on the shroud with model # type # and code #

Old 06-22-09, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's a twin opposed engine the #s will be riveted to the top of the engine. If it's an ohv it will be stamped on the valve cover.

Search this Thread