Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil Leak

IN

06-22-09, 05:32 AM   #1  
Oil Leak

I have a Craftsman 4 cycle push mower. The engine model number is 143.006502. It looks like it is leaking around the Breather Assembly.As soon as it starts you can see oil running down the side. Do I just pry that off and put another one in or is that a sign of a different problem. The mower runs fine except it leaks the oil. Last week I had to much oil in and when it started it blew out a lot of smoke. I drained some of it out and it ran fine after that. I had the oil leak before that. I'm just letting you know about the over fill because I've over filled it before and it didn't blow smoke out.
Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-09, 09:55 PM   #2  
I had one or two leak up there as well. I replaced the breather if I remember right and fixed the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

06-23-09, 06:05 AM   #3  
Hello Cheese,
I tried to pry up the breather cover but it looks like I'm going to have to get a gear puller to take off the flywheel before I can take the breather off. Do you think I should replace the whole breather ass'y or will just replacing the breather cover stop the leak?
Dave

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-09, 09:08 PM   #4  
I don't recall...It's been a long time since I saw one leaking from there. You do have to remove the flywheel. It seems like I replaced all of it to be sure it was fixed.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread