Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help changing a Craftsmen jackshaft

PA

06-23-09, 12:48 PM   #1  
Need help changing a Craftsmen jackshaft

Hello, I have a 17hp 42 inch deck Craftsmen riding mower. I was out mowing when I hit a rock. My blade will now just free spin. I tried to take the jackshaft (what the lawnmower guy by my house had called it) off and I can't get it for nothin! I have all three bolts out that hold the shaft housing to the deck. Now I need to get the pully off to get the shaft off the deck, right? I have a socket on the top pully nut and a socket on the bolt that holds the blade in place. I can't budge either. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance! Jack
P.S.- Please hurry as my yard is getting higher by the second!

Sponsored Links

Non-US

06-23-09, 03:38 PM   #2  
you will have to hold the pulley while turning the nut..The pulley is splined to the shaft,so you may need a puller,,, Same for the blade adaptor side..(Im thinking you're talking about the blade spindle,, Correct???)

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-23-09, 04:08 PM   #3  
If you haven't yet, remove the deck from the mower so you can actually throw some weight into it.

Reading and re-reading your post, it sounds like you have the right idea and you do need the pulley side to come loose. Bolt the housing back to the deck will help too, you might be able to wedge one wrench against the deck.
If the blade nut comes loose first then you may need a strap wrench or something to hold the pulley fast as hopkinsr2 mentions.
I could be misunderstanding where you are but it sounds like you just need a BFH

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-23-09, 04:18 PM   #4  
Just another quick thought, since you are changing the jack shaft ne way would could peen the nut on the blade (use a center punch and indent on the flats of the nut that hold the blade on) this should help the pulley nut come loose first...you may not get the blade back tho...but with the shaft out you could vise it up...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-23-09, 08:59 PM   #5  
Use an impact gun or use a strap wrench or whatever means necessary to hold the pulley. The nut usually isn't that hard to get loose. It's a 7/8", and regular threads (no offense, but you are turning it the correct direction to loosen it, right? Counterclockwise).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

06-24-09, 08:23 PM   #6  
Thanks all! I had the right idea, just couldn't get things loose. Neighbor guy used his impact on the nut and it came right off! Thanks again! Jack

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-09, 08:30 PM   #7  
Posted By: unclejack Thanks all! I had the right idea, just couldn't get things loose. Neighbor guy used his impact on the nut and it came right off! Thanks again! Jack
That aint fair

No fun in that, glad you got it

Search this Thread