Chainsaw (Craftsman) Timing Questions

Old 06-23-09, 06:47 PM
Chainsaw (Craftsman) Timing Questions

Hello. I have a "chainsaw won't start" problem. I finally track down to a highly probable Timing issue. My condition were that the pull string get stuck randomly and momentarily in the middle during a string pull.

I have the following questions and would like to seek answers from the experts here.

(1) Picture2 [http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...onFlywheel.jpg]: I found two protruding areas on the flywheel, labelled (A) and (B). (A) is a double patchers (magnets) and (B) is a red mark. What is the Red Mark for?

(2) Picture3 [http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...gnetsAtTDC.jpg ]:when my piston reached the top (TDC), the double patchers on the flywheel has passed (assuming CCW rotation) the ignition module by about 45 degrees. Is this a sign of mis-timing? Where is the double patchers supposed to be when TDC occurs for a well timed engine?
(3) I was trying to check if I had a sheared key condition but I did not know how to pull apart the flywheel (see Picture3 again). I did manage to remove the nut on top of the flywheel. I assume that I have to undo the flywheel to check the key. Could someone share tips about how to get the flywheel of the saw?

Thanks, Shay

Last edited by hhsieh; 06-23-09 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Could not detect links to the pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are no timing marks on the flywheel. You have to pull the flywheel to verify the condition of the key. I don't think that the flywheel key would be my first suspect though. Is the spark plug wet or oily?

Old 06-23-09, 08:56 PM
The magnets should pass the coil just before top dead centre. Remove the nut and washer then run the nut on until it is flush with the end of the shaft. This prevents flaring the end of the threads. Use a screwdriver to apply some pressure to the underside of the flywheel then give the end of the shaft a sharp rap with a hammer. The flywheel should pop loose. Note: do not have the saw resting on the clutch during this procedure.

Old 06-24-09, 03:17 AM
Spark Plug is wet

Cheese,

Yes, the spark plug was wet and oil most of the time. Why you asked?

I take it the Red Mark has no significant meaning?

CanuckRoy

Please explain why you mentioned the following: "do not have the saw resting on the clutch during this procedure". Do you meant not to rest "Naked" or not even to rest with the clutch cover on.

Shay

Old 06-24-09, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the plug was wet and oily, you probably have extra-high compression and possibly even hydraulic lock occurring. If there is too much oil and gas in the cylinder, you won't be able to turn the engine easily or possibly not at all. Oil/gas does not compress.