Simplicity Broadmoor Transmission Problem

Old 06-23-09, 08:20 PM
Simplicity Broadmoor Transmission Problem

Just had a new engine put into my '99 Simplicity Broadmoor. Was mowing today with it for the first time. Engine's great, but now seem to have developed a transmission problem that was not there before. It got progressively "rougher", slowed a bit and now the pedals, forward and reverse, don't engage at all. The mower deck still works, engine sounds fine, but the foot pedals feel completely disengaged. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 08:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could be that the belt fell out of place somewhere when it was off during the engine swap. Check the routing and tension of the transmission belt.

Old 06-24-09, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
It could be that the belt fell out of place somewhere when it was off during the engine swap. Check the routing and tension of the transmission belt.
I think you're right, cheese. It was too dark last night to figure much out, but I checked the drive belt this a.m. before seeing your post. It has what seems like a lot of play in it. I say "seems like" because I have no idea what the tension was like when it was operating properly. Do you know of any schematics online that would show the routing and give some direction on how tight it needs to be?

Thanks,
steve

Old 06-24-09, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any diagrams online, but it should have tension on it, no flop back and forth. If not, check all pulleys. I bet it came off one of them and it will be obvious when you see it. I'm thinking it probably came off the transmission pulley and is between the pulley and fan.

Old 06-27-09, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
I don't know of any diagrams online, but it should have tension on it, no flop back and forth. If not, check all pulleys. I bet it came off one of them and it will be obvious when you see it. I'm thinking it probably came off the transmission pulley and is between the pulley and fan.
Well, it's fixed. It was actually just slightl low in transmission oil so that when I went up any kind of incline all the oil trained back into the reservoir. Tough diagnosis, easy fix!

Old 06-27-09, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it and thanks for the update!