Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD B130 - Where did that spring come from?

06-24-09, 07:08 AM   #1  
MTD B130 - Where did that spring come from?

My Lawn mover broke down yesterday. MTD B/130 modelnr:13AA478F678.
A spring and a small "S" shaped iron bar fell of and now the mover wont cut. Theres no tension on the belt.
I guess the spring pulls the mover deck backwards to tighten the belt.
I have fixed the spring but i cant figure out where to put it. Have checked schematics without any results.
Anyone got some ideas or pictures??

Sponsored Links

06-24-09, 07:27 AM   #2  
Some pictures

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-09, 07:32 AM   #3  
Get the serial number along with your model # and check here PDF Manual Web Archive for an IPL.

06-24-09, 07:54 AM   #4  
Posted By: BFHFixit Get the serial number along with your model # and check here PDF Manual Web Archive for an IPL.
Yes. I did that. No match

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-09, 08:31 AM   #5  
The pics don't really help me identify the mower so not sure how much help I can be.
Usually the spring hooks in the lowest hole on the rear bracket that the square pan behind the deck hangs on, then the other end attaches to a tang that sticks down from and is bolted to the tranny.
The spring in your second pic looks out of place to me... is this where you tried to re attach the lost spring?
Someone else prolly has better memory than I and will be along...

06-24-09, 10:13 AM   #6  
Posted By: BFHFixit The pics don't really help me identify the mower so not sure how much help I can be.
Usually the spring hooks in the lowest hole on the rear bracket that the square pan behind the deck hangs on, then the other end attaches to a tang that sticks down from and is bolted to the tranny.
The spring in your second pic looks out of place to me... is this where you tried to re attach the lost spring?
Someone else prolly has better memory than I and will be along...
Don't really know why i uploaded the second pic.
No, the spring in that pic was already there.

I have fixed the problem temporarily by tying a rope between the backaxel and the mover deck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-09, 08:48 PM   #7  
The clip hooks onto the transaxle at the axle housing and the spring goes from there to the bar all the way to the right side of the second pic you posted. The clip hooks onto the casting on the topside of the axle housing if I recall correctly and the point of it sticks down like a question mark, and the tension of the spring holds it there once connected. It pulls the deck back towards the tranny. I hope that's clear enough...it's kinda hard to describe.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-13-09, 03:16 AM   #8  
Hi,

I have the same mower, and the same problem.
Is there anyone that can post a picture of how the tention spring should be attached? I don't find a way to use the S shaped piece of metal...

I would really appreciate it...

Thanks
Sis

08-13-09, 11:20 AM   #9  
Posted By: sis3970 Hi,

I have the same mower, and the same problem.
Is there anyone that can post a picture of how the tention spring should be attached? I don't find a way to use the S shaped piece of metal...

I would really appreciate it...

Thanks
Sis
My neighbour came home last week with the same type of mower so I just checked under his.

Will post pic when i can

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-13-09, 12:33 PM   #10  
Posted By: cheese The clip hooks onto the transaxle at the axle housing and the spring goes from there to the bar all the way to the right side of the second pic you posted. The clip hooks onto the casting on the topside of the axle housing if I recall correctly and the point of it sticks down like a question mark, and the tension of the spring holds it there once connected. It pulls the deck back towards the tranny. I hope that's clear enough...it's kinda hard to describe.
A pic will be worth a thousand words especially in this case. cheese jogged my memory a bit and maybe I can add a few to his that may help.

I don't think there is a specific hole or even a notch, just a lip the S hook goes over on top of the transaxle and spring tension is all that holds it on.

You may need to fashion a tool, basically a hook with a T-handle to help installing it.

08-13-09, 01:01 PM   #11  
Guys,

I would really appreciate your help on this.
Thanks in advance for posting those pictures..

I have a tool to install the springs on my trampoline, which could help me for this as well.

Regards
Sis

08-16-09, 03:07 AM   #12  
Here are som pics

The "S" goes on the axel. No specific place, just somewhere in the middle.

Then the spring goes underneath the plate, theres a bolt mounted where you attach it

Pulling the spring into place wasn't easy. I used a rope attach to the end of the spring, attached the spring to the bolt and the rope to a tree and moved the mover forward until it reached the "S"

08-16-09, 03:14 AM   #13  
Wow! Thank you so much!
This is exactly what I need... :-)

You guys are great.

Will try it now and report back ;-)

Regards
Sis

Search this Thread