STihl Chainsaw chain problem

Old 06-24-09, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
STihl Chainsaw chain problem

Hope somebody can shed some light on this for me. Never had this trouble before. I have a Stihl MS290 chainsaw. A few weeks ago the chain became impossible to tighten. Thinking the bar had just experienced some sort of abrasive wear over time, I bought a new 16 inch bar. Same problem. Chain will not tighten as it should. Yes the small adjustment screw work and the small stud that pulls the bar forward works as well. Do chains stretch that much over time or did something else happen taht I am not seeing? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
No expert..but yes chains can wear and stretch. Same with motorcycle drive chains and such. How much time and use has it seen? Make sure you aren't overtightening it.

Old 06-24-09, 03:34 PM
I have had the saw about two years and it was bought used. Great saw though and I do take care of it. I use it on a farm so its used quite a bit more than just cutting wood a couple times a year.So maybe the chain has just stretched on me. Guess I will buy new one. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-24-09, 03:49 PM
It could be when the chain was made it had an extra link put in. If there is still meat left on it and you take it to a chain shop, they can likely just take one or two links out and also make you a new chain for spare or....

Personally I prefer them a bit on the long side, if just long enough they can be a real pain to get on the bar. I always seem to wear through them before they will no longer tighten.

Old 06-24-09, 04:01 PM
yeah the chain is still plenty good. I have a guy at a small hardware store sharpen my chains for me so I may ask him to remove a link for me unless its something I could easily do. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-24-09, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One problem with that is if it has worn badly enough to become that long, the holes that the links connect through are worn out. The chain is probably unsafe as it could be about to break at any moment. A sharp chain breaking and slinging back at you is not my idea of a fun time. Worn chains also wear the drive sprocket. Spend a few bucks and buy a new one and have peace of mind.

Old 06-25-09, 09:47 AM
Cheese, I think you are correct. I looked at it last night and it does seem to have a lot of play in it between links. So I went ahead and bought a couple chains on Ebay. Between having it sharpened and having the link removed I might as well have new Thanks everybody that answered