Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Melting Weedeater String

TX

06-25-09, 11:58 AM   #1  
Melting Weedeater String

I have an Echo SRM210 that I've had for 6 years. 2years ago it started giving me problems with the string breaking too easily. I started using a thicker "name brand" string, but noticed that the string was actually melting and fusing to itself. I am pretty sure that the string is not too big for the weedeater since it comes out of the holes easily. I believe the problem with the weedeater head is getting too hot. Even with gloves on I can feel the heat on the head gears after it has only been running for 10 minutes or so. I cannot understand why it is getting so hot. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-25-09, 12:32 PM   #2  
Well, never had an echo...but they must all be similar to some extent. When I had a problem with my Ryobi..as part of the process I found the the grease in the trimmer head seemed pretty contaminated...so I flushed it as well as I could and repacked it.

Could also be that its just worn inside and generating more heat.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

TX

06-25-09, 02:43 PM   #3  
Thanks...I'll try repacking the gears with new grease. Any thoughts on weedeater string that may not melt and fuse together like the stuff I am getting? I am buying the thickest string that is available at the hardware store.

Super Moderator

AZ

06-25-09, 03:20 PM   #4  
Well, don't use a size that the Echo doesn't recommend. No grass here, so its been a few years since I used one. I found a great deal on the bulk roll of square line, can't tell you a brand, and it worked great. I think it was clearance somewhere..something like 1000 ft for about 5 bucks, I had it for 4-5 yrs and gave what was left away when I moved. Also, the star shaped line worked well also, but seemed to shred quickly if you hit anything other than a weed or grass.

I'd stop by an Echo dealer and ask what they sell to the Pro's that buy from them.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

06-25-09, 08:02 PM   #5  
First check that the gearbox is properly greased and not overheating, excess heat will transfer to the line. Use a good quality line, the cheap crap melts on the surface and fuses together. I use Echo RapidFire.
Line dries out and becomes brittle with age. Remove the spool and drop it in a bucket of water over night. The line will become more pliable and last longer.

Search this Thread