B&S 6HP Pressure washer surges after warm up

Old 06-27-09, 02:22 PM
B&S 6HP Pressure washer surges after warm up

I rebuilt the carb on this Pressure washed because it had not been used in a long time and wouldn't start. I bought the kit and cleaned everything by soaking the entire carb in acetone. All orifices really cleaned up nice, I installed a new spark plug and a air cleaner. It starts right up but after it warms up the surging starts, typically in about 5 mins. The surging continues until it stalls out. If I hold the carb butterfly it will run ok but as soon as I release it the surging starts and kills the engine. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-09, 06:46 PM
I kinda think you still have a blockage somewhere....If you have a float type carb,, did you clean the holes in the bowl bolt with a wire & blowing out everything with compressed air before soaking all of it??? What kind of carb??? Horizontal or verticle engine???? If you post the engine numbers,, I'm sure the Pros here will get you dialed in in no time!!!

Old 06-27-09, 06:54 PM
B&S 6HP Model & Type

The engine is a B&S Model 01293-2 Type 0122E2, Code 000112FD.

I made sure all of the holes on the Bowl bolt were really clean, I'm going to soak it again overnight tonight. but it really does look clean. The carburetor is vertical with the bowl below the carb. I turned off the gas, removed the bowl, then turned the gas on to see how healthy the flow was and it was very good. When I raise the float it shuts off the gas. Not sure what else I can tell you all to assist with the diagnosis, I'm stumped!

Old 06-27-09, 07:05 PM
I've never used acetone to try to clean a carb,, only the carb cleaner type bath... Maybe some of the pros can help out here & let me know if it works... Did you blow everything out with compressed air after cleaning???? Rince with a spray cleaner???? Something is still blocked, I'm sure, as you have all the rest covered.... Lets wait for the pros experience on cleaning carbs with acetone,, as I'm interested because it's probably cheeper than the stuff I use!!! LOL Roger

Old 06-27-09, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I was told that acetone would do the job but I may go get some of the Carb cleaner at the auto parts store tomorrow. Yes, after I took it out of the bath I used my compressor to blow air through everything and re emerged the parts in the bath again for about 3 hours and did the blow dry again. I thought I got it all but apparently not. BTW, there are 3 holes in the bowl bolt. Two opposite of each other on the sides and one at the bottom. I can see clear through the side holes but wondered how large the bottom hole is it seems that it gets very small as it intersects the side holes. I can barely get a sewing needle through it so I can see the tip from tthe side holes. Sorry for the poor description but its the best I can do. My question is "Does the bottom hole get smaller as it intersects the side holes"?

Old 06-27-09, 09:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it necks down. I don't think acetone is going to clean it well enough.

Old 06-28-09, 06:04 PM
Mystery solved!

I took the carb apart again and soaked it for 4 hours, in Acetone, since my local auto parts store was out of the $22/gal Carburetor cleaner. I let it soak for 4 hours, removed it and ran jewelers bits down both of the intakes that are above the Bowl Bolt. They are both spotless, now. I blew the entire unit out with my compressor and reassembled the unit, I also made sure the linkage spring was not tight around the linkage; fired it up and it ran for over 20 mins. I hope I'm not claiming victory too soon but it never made it past 8 mins before.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I am here to say also that Acetone does work and its cheap to buy.