murray riding mower problem

Old 06-30-09, 07:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
murray riding mower problem

I have a 40" riding mower with a Tecumseh enduro xl/c 13.5 hp engine. It has just started acting weird. I can run it all day with no problems but as soon as I turn on the blades the engine will start surging. It surges every 15-20 seconds. Almost like it is going to die then picks back up again. I have drained all the fuel out, replace fuel filter, cleaned out the bowl, by pass all safety switches in case one was shorting out, changed the oil, new plug and have checked the valve gaps.. nothing seems to help and I am running out of ideas. Any help?

Old 06-30-09, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
There is a problem in the carburetor. Something is clogged or not allowing sufficient flow of fuel.

Old 07-11-09, 02:16 PM
C
choprdoc-
i am having the same problem with the same mower. I was wondering if you had found anything. Let me know if you can. Dont want to take it in if its not neccessary

Old 07-11-09, 04:19 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Could be the govenor linkage binding or the blade pulleys binding up.
Take the belt loose on the deck and see how freely the blades turn.
Check that the spring for the govenor is in place.
If electric blade engagement check that too.

Old 07-11-09, 05:12 PM
I
sounds like the main jet is clogged and needs cleaning

Old 07-11-09, 09:11 PM
I have to agree with Cheese & Indy,, You have a blockage.. Take the carb off the engine,, Totally dissasemble it & soak it overnight in a bath type cleaner,,, Blast all the holes out with a spray type cleaner & blast them again with compressed air,,, Put a kit in it & you should be good to go!!! Roger

Old 07-12-09, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2
I have to agree with Cheese & Indy,, You have a blockage.. Take the carb off the engine,, Totally dissasemble it & soak it overnight in a bath type cleaner,,, Blast all the holes out with a spray type cleaner & blast them again with compressed air,,, Put a kit in it & you should be good to go!!! Roger
I agree as well. The carb needs a good cleaning. Was fuel left in the carb and tank over winter? If so, that's the issue.

Old 07-13-09, 01:03 AM
C
Even though it runs just fine without the blades engaged you all still think its a carb issue? I will give it a shot. Just seems to me that if it was soley a carb issue that it would surge even when the pto was not engaged as well.

Old 07-13-09, 05:40 AM
T
My B&S had a similar problem. Running the PTO requires much more fuel for a given RPM so the blockage results in fuel starvation.

If this was a B&S I would suggest removing the jet that sits behind the carb drain plug followed by a good spray of cleaner. I don't know if Tec carbs are built similar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: